Smoked New Years Picnic Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Like a lot of folks we find it fun to follow some traditions and the New Years meal with Pork, Black-eye peas, Cornbread & greens is always a welcome meal at our house. Wifey went to the store to pick up a few items and returned with a Picnic ham.

... A what? Picnic ham? What the hell??????

Lord, I think I've heard of this but not really sure what it is so I do a little research here on SMF and I dive into several recipes I find on the web and came up with something simple since I'm the lazy type. Interesting to know where it comes from on the pig and of course different ways to cook and serve it so here we go!

7.5 lbs of a chunk of interesting looking pork. I gave it a generous amount of Killer Hog "The BBQ Rub". No injection just cover in this really good rub and let it set and let the rub become moist over about a 1/2 hour prior to putting it in the smoke.
tempImageaj60O5.png

I set the Yoder on 250 and fill the hopper with Kingsford 100% Hickory pellets - my first time using this brand. They're good pellets but a bit pricy. I was out of Lumberjack and had to grab this bag to make the cook.
I give the Picnic ham 5 hours of straight up, 250° deg of pure hickory and the aroma is really getting nice.
tempImageAK0XXk.png

This is where I pull the ham for it's next stage. I had already prepared a sauce to cover it with. I would guess any of 1000 variations of flavors you like would work here. For today I combined:
1/4 cup SaltLick BBQ sauce (yellow, vinegar based type sauce)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 TBS Killer Hogs BBQ rub
1 stick of salted butter
1/2 TBS crushed red pepper flake
I mix all these together in a pan an heat it up while stirring to get it well blended so it's warm when I cover the ham.
tempImage4GADdk.png

I just took a mopping brush and make sure to get all areas covered with this sauce, cover it with foil and back to the Yoder to finish it out.
I let this ride for almost 3 hours and it reached an IT of 208 deg. I then removed the foil off the top, cover it with the nice sauce that's now mixed with all the juices from the ham and let it caramelize for about 20 minutes before removing it from the cooker. When checking the temp it was like probing a stick of butter with a hot pin!!!! Very tender.
tempImageAu0kb3.png

Yep, it's now missing a piece from that top left corner - HOLY COW!
Here's a shot after we pull some of it (and we're giving it the ole taste test!)
tempImagehSMJ5A.png

Money shot!
Picnic ham with Au Jus drizzle, Black-eyed peas in chicken broth, Spinach with fresh garlic & onion, fried taters & mini cornbread muffins.
tempImageicaJmC.png

Another win for the "Paper Plate Chronicles". This was off the chain!!!!!
We were really amazed how tender this was and the flavor combo was spot on. That's a lucky meal if I've every had one!

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year to the whole SMF gang!

Wow! That is spectacular! I normally look at this forum from my iPhone, but today I'm looking on a desk top and that looks incredible. Great work, I can taste it and my mouth is watering. Very lucky meal, have a great new year!

Very nice . I'd dump that cup of Black eyed peas over the top and dive in .

Man I think you dang near hit that one into 2023! Looks great!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky