Smoked Lobster Little Lunch Paired With Portuguese Vinho Verde!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leah elisheva

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Seacoast of New Hampshire
Happy Tuesday of Terrificness Great Smokey Folk!

Today's lunch of a small albeit succulent smoked up lobster (just split down the middle and smoked for about 15 minutes) over a salad with Dijon-Tarragon-Garlic dressing, was amazing!

Granted, the tomalley was of course the best. However, the smokey essence was evident in all the meat too, and this paired just masterfully with a cold Portuguese Vinho Verde, as the slight CO2 in this varietal lent a somewhat "picnic" style and refreshing balance to the crustacean. Sensational match!

Cheers and happy Tuesday! Make today delicious!!!! - Leah

Reactions: mdboatbum and disco
I'm going to have to suggest immediate banishment for Leah. Her cheerful posts and complex culinary creations are creating an atmosphere of envy and resentment around here. I'm sorry it had to come to this, but we just can't have a member who raises the bar to such unattainable heights for the rest of us.

However, in a gesture of magnanimous consolation, I will extend an offer for Leah to move to DC and spend a few hours a day cooking in my kitchen and generally brightening my day.

In all seriousness, I am in awe not only of your creativity in the kitchen, but the fun and engaging way you present your creations. The wine pairings are a nice touch! Thanks for sharing!!!

This looks great. 

What you need to do is adopt a fat old Canadian. He is housebroken and has been trained by a good wife for 38 years so is almost human. He will do chores for smoked seafood.

Disco

Happy afternoon sweet smokers!!! And thanks for the kind words on today's lunch, Foamheart, Bear, SmokinHusker, Disco, and Mboatbum too! So very gracious. It was small, and simple, but just lovely!

And Mboatbum, you cracked me up! As did Disco! Hilarious stuff from you both, and so wonderful to see! I actually lived in DC years ago, albeit briefly, and was raised ALMOST in Canada, or 2 hours south of Montreal, in very northern Vermont. Small world.

Nonetheless, I'll try to be less negative and grouchy, and/or at least a "little bit" cheerier anyway, as we've got to hold the plane up, or at least try our best, right? Smiles.

Meanwhile, Cheers to good smokes, jokes, blokes, and all things! Make today delicious! - Leah

Another fantastic looking meal, Leah! But I'm with MD, you gotta slow down on the smoked seafood. You're creating a nationwide shortage on fish and shellfish!

Thank you Dirtsailor! Yes, yes, I am gallantly plucking much of the ocean and should leave some in the water for others right? Soon it will be game meat season though, and that's a whole other passionate genre of mine, and so stay tuned!!! Meanwhile, cheers to all! And happy midweek! - Leah

Thank you Gary! I split this little lobster down the middle first, and rested him (shell down) on the smoker, with high heat, having just touched the meat with a little grapeseed oil first. This was just a 1.69 pound tiny guy, but that system worked well.

The big lobster, (I think there's a link to it in my signature here), that was 9 pounds, and which I smoked to layer over an enormous black rice and seafood paella (that had artichoke hearts, asparagus, snails, octopus, cuttlefish, salmon, clams, lobster meat and everything in it that I could find) was smoked as is, in its shell, without slicing open first, and THAT meat was much much better than this little one's, and tasted far more smoky and fabulous. I smoked a whole head of elephant garlic with that 9-pounder, and the smoked cloves of that were really sensational!

Next time, with lobster, I'll definitely smoke it whole, and not cut open, as to get better flavor.

In any event, nothing wrong with some red meat and potatoes! My favorite is either kangaroo or ostrich, seared black & blue and cold in the middle, with grilled purple Peruvian potatoes or red garnet yam! (Or smoked).

Meanwhile, I'm smoking simple albeit healthful cuttlefish today. And I send a wonderful "Saturday" sentiment to all!

Cheers and warm wishes, Leah

Thank you Gary! I split this little lobster down the middle first, and rested him (shell down) on the smoker, with high heat, having just touched the meat with a little grapeseed oil first. This was just a 1.69 pound tiny guy, but that system worked well.

The big lobster, (I think there's a link to it in my signature here), that was 9 pounds, and which I smoked to layer over an enormous black rice and seafood paella (that had artichoke hearts, asparagus, snails, octopus, cuttlefish, salmon, clams, lobster meat and everything in it that I could find) was smoked as is, in its shell, without slicing open first, and THAT meat was much much better than this little one's, and tasted far more smoky and fabulous. I smoked a whole head of elephant garlic with that 9-pounder, and the smoked cloves of that were really sensational!

Next time, with lobster, I'll definitely smoke it whole, and not cut open, as to get better flavor.

In any event, nothing wrong with some red meat and potatoes! My favorite is either kangaroo or ostrich, seared black & blue and cold in the middle, with grilled purple Peruvian potatoes or red garnet yam! (Or smoked).

Meanwhile, I'm smoking simple albeit healthful cuttlefish today. And I send a wonderful "Saturday" sentiment to all!

Cheers and warm wishes, Leah
I've never smoked Lobster and have had bad luck grilling them as well...15 minutes is enough time for it to cook through? Maybe that was my problem i grilled mine for like 30 mins and it was super tough! Around the same size as yours also. This was also florida spiny lobsters....

Hi Dougmays! Yes, I find that "less is more" (with most things in life) or at least when it comes to makeup, jewelry, and too, lobsters! Perhaps I'm a little odd therefore. Smiles.

However, the grilled ones, when split and grilled shell down, are really superb, and the smoked (whole, in their shell) are my favorite.

Here's to lovely lobster and good things! Happy Tuesday! Cheers! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky