Smoked Lamb Shoulder w/Laffa, Schug and Hummus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

samcanadian

Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
So my favourite cuisine currently is middle eastern/Israeli/Levantine style cooking, and I figured I'd try out a Lamb Shoulder on the pellet grill. I purchased this shoulder roast from a local farmer here in Manitoba, and the lamb isn't grain fed so as a result the flavour is much milder than the traditional lamb you'd typically get from New Zealand.

I applied a spice blend (this isn't mustard, it's turmeric lol) and treated the Lamb just like a pork shoulder.

hraiReil.jpg

I popped it into the smoker and got to work with the rest of the meal. I like making Laffa bread, which is an Iraqi flatbread that goes well with this kind of cooking.

K2SkYg6l.jpg

08al0lzl.jpg

I also prepared some "Schug" which is a fiery green condiment made from Coriander, Cardamom, Parsley, Cilantro, Serrano Peppers, Garlic Lime Juice and canola oil. It packs a wallop!

xpyJffEl.jpg

I whipped up some 5-minute hummus, plated everything and pulled the shoulder out of the smoker.

Ready to go!

POCqvPul.jpg

1PXeHE7l.jpg

bk8H7cal.jpg

zq3Yi7gl.jpg

4QqcXlOl.jpg

So my favourite cuisine currently is middle eastern/Israeli/Levantine style cooking, and I figured I'd try out a Lamb Shoulder on the pellet grill. I purchased this shoulder roast from a local farmer here in Manitoba, and the lamb isn't grain fed so as a result the flavour is much milder than the traditional lamb you'd typically get from New Zealand.

I applied a spice blend (this isn't mustard, it's turmeric lol) and treated the Lamb just like a pork shoulder.

View attachment 447253

I popped it into the smoker and got to work with the rest of the meal. I like making Laffa bread, which is an Iraqi flatbread that goes well with this kind of cooking.

View attachment 447254

View attachment 447255

I also prepared some "Schug" which is a fiery green condiment made from Coriander, Cardamom, Parsley, Cilantro, Serrano Peppers, Garlic Lime Juice and canola oil. It packs a wallop!

View attachment 447256

I whipped up some 5-minute hummus, plated everything and pulled the shoulder out of the smoker.

Ready to go!

View attachment 447257

View attachment 447258

View attachment 447259

View attachment 447260

View attachment 447261
What spices did you use ?

Just realized there's a Lamb sub forum. I apologize. Maybe a Mod can move this?

Man these flavors are right in the zone of what I love. Did that lamb pull for you like pork? Love that sauce mix. Just bookmarked this as I’ll be making it with some Middle Eastern or Mediterranean cook in the future.

Reactions: samcanadian
Man these flavors are right in the zone of what I love. Did that lamb pull for you like pork? Love that sauce mix. Just bookmarked this as I’ll be making it with some Middle Eastern or Mediterranean cook in the future.
Yes, it pulled very well. I was quite pleased, considering I wasn't sure what to expect. Treat it just like pork, I think. With grass fed it might be a little bit leaner, and I'm not sure how readily available grain fed Lamb is where you are.

Google Michael Solomonov's "Schug". It's from his book "Zahav" and it's absolutely fantastic.

Reactions: jcam222
I’m definitely going to have to give this a go. I need to find a lamb shoulder, I have several shanks in the freezer but they are far too lean.

Reactions: samcanadian
Looking so good mate!!!

If you want, can share with you the authentic Israeli pita recipe - I make them in the home oven without any "tribal dances" or special devices... PM me if you're interested.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky