Smoked Hatch Chili for the 1st time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Wife bought some of these really nice hatch chilies and last night I put 6 of them in the Yoder since I was doing a 225 deg cook on the ribs. Gave them about 3 1/2 hours of smoke and pulled them. So, do we remove the skin and just use the "meat" of the pepper? I've watch several people "roast" these with very hot fire and rotisserie set ups. How do some of you prepare and then how do you store them for future use. I was planning to vacuum seal & freeze them whole? Wife wants to try them in several recipes she's been given.

Love Hatch chilies. Get them in July/August fresh from https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/. They have mild medium and hot varieties. You can get fire roasted ones from them frozen year round (I get 5# every 3 months). The fresh ones I seal and freeze and they aren't the prettiest when thawed so I use them chopped in a recipe. I make a mean Verdé Enchilada Pork Chili that I think I have posted here.

Reactions: texomakid
Thanks for the replies. The Mrs. & I have been doing some research. Can't believe we haven't been doing this "Hatch Green Chile" thing before now? We gonna have to up our game around here! Looks like this is harvest time for this chile. So many recipes on line - Chicken Fried Steak with Hatch Chile Gravy? I haven't had a Chicken Fried Steak in years but I'm fixing to make plans for some of this!

Love Hatch chilies. Get them in July/August fresh from https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/. They have mild medium and hot varieties. You can get fire roasted ones from them frozen year round (I get 5# every 3 months). The fresh ones I seal and freeze and they aren't the prettiest when thawed so I use them chopped in a recipe. I make a mean Verdé Enchilada Pork Chili that I think I have posted here.

I just ordered from them. Fresh and a powder

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky