Smoked deviled eggs!

Discussion in 'Side Items' started by dirtsailor2003, Dec 16, 2012.

1. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

The other night I took a few eggs, hard boiled them and put them in the smoker with some cheese and bacon I had in the smoker.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/131123/the-bacon-trifecta-q-view/20#post_900139

The method I use for boiled eggs always produces a non-rubbery egg with yellow yokes. I put the eggs in cold water and heat to boiling. I boil for 5 minutes. Pull off the heat, put a lid on the pot and let sit for 25 minutes. Put into cold water ice bath, peeI immediately. Cold smoked them for 1 hour wood was apple cherry mix.

Mayo, spicy brown mustard, Chipotle powder, little dusting of paprika.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    snorkelinggirl likes this.
  2. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

and ? you liked them how ?

3. dirtsailor2003

They're

[​IMG]

4. jckdanls 07

good deal.. myself i go a couple of hours.. maybe 3.. but i also cut them in half before smoking so the yolk takes on some smoke as well

5. dirtsailor2003

The yolks took on quite a bit of smoke even leaving them whole. It's a good thing I sampled one while I was making them. I went out to the smoker to check the temp (wasabi almonds) came back in and they were gone!

6. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

THose look great good job

7. I'll be trying this method next time! last time I tried this I boiled for 20 min, ice water, pealed and then put on the smoker. They were definitely over cooked. This method makes perfect sense!

8. dirtsailor2003

Been doing hard boiled eggs that way for over 20 years, always great results. Next batch I'll be a bit more creative with the filling. Was a last minute item and just threw them together! I only cold smoked for a hour and really like the mild smoke. I may take them a bit longer next time.

9. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I was just thinking about smoked deviled eggs today

Best deviled eggs I've ever had were in Kansas City, MO during the American Royal

The eggs were smoked, with a wasabi salmon roe, and a little piece of lox on top

$12 for 6 1/2 deviled eggs was outrageous, but they were awesome!!!

So, not sure if the wasabi roe was salmon eggs or some sort of artificial roe

The different flavors were outstanding!!

Todd

10. i read this wrong...i don't have a cold smoker. Is there any way to smoke them on my uds without over cooking them? I usually run it around 225-250. Maybe put the eggs on uncooked and crack them half way through the cook so the smoke can penetrate?

11. jckdanls 07

It's very easy and cheap to make a cold smoker with a NEW soldering iron and a tin can... use the search box up top and you'll find some threads on how to do it... you can use it in your UDS or just use a cardboard box....

12. Looks interesting! I have a feeling this is my next project. Very simple!

13. dirtsailor2003

Go for it! Go visit Todds site and get yourself one of his Amazing Smoke Generators!

www.amazenproducts.com

I have the 18" AMNTS and it works perfect in my GOSM. Perfect TBS every time.

14. jetman

jetman Smoke Blower

Last thing on earth I would ever think of, wish you would have told me about this yesterday when I was smoking CB!

They look yummy, think by the time Paulina Messabout comes around we'll be able to charge $30 a head for our grub [​IMG]

JetMan<<<

15. dirtsailor2003

The Coots wont know what hit them! Last year Lou hit everyone up to donate a few bucks. I ended up covering my expenses on the chickens! That was nice, nut wasn't expected.

I have to say that I wont be eating non-smoked deviled eggs. I am going to do some more for some smoked egg-salad sandweeees!

16. Dirtsaillor, I made these for Christmas dinner and the family loved them. Thanks for sharing!

17. dirtsailor2003

I made 2 dozen on Christmas eve, I didn't even get a half of one!

That's okay, we were at a friends house and they taught us how to make Tamales. I now know there's another use for a tamale steamer besides using it to turn a Smokey Joe BBQ into a mini-wsm!

Ended up being quite the spread my injected smoked hot wings and smoked deviled eggs for grazing while spreading masa. Then later we had five kinds of tamales, pork posole (pozole) and gala punch.

18. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

Thread resurection in progress! I love this recipe and am in the final stage with the little cheif right now! Thanks man!

[​IMG]

19. dirtsailor2003

You are lucky!!! We didn't make any for this holiday.

20. timberjet

timberjet Master of the Pit

dang. I am having a real hard time not eating any. I did lick the bowl though. Happy thanksgiving to oregon from south eastern washington.