Smoked delicacies...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 7, 2017
Flint, Michigan
A question for the community as it were.

I by no means consider myself as having "perfected" any one particular smoking staple whether it swim, run, or fly but I find myself lacking inspiration lately having hit a bit of a rut doing the traditional fare as of late.

So here's the question:

What do you guys consider "smoking delicacies"?

I wouldn't mind doing a bunch of small batch higher end items just to change it up a bit and reinspire myself, but would love to hear inspiration from others much more creative and skilled than myself. Even if it's all cure #2 ideas that finally get me to build the curing chamber I've meant to build for so long now.

Thoughts?

Ive not made them but Smoked Scallops and/or Oysters sound good. There are a few posts here at SMF. If you can get Whole Ducks, Duck Breast Prosciutto, plain or Smoked, is great. Smoked then Condit the Legs for a traditional Cassoulet. A bean and meat stew. Really good stuff on a cold night...JJ

A question for the community as it were.

I by no means consider myself as having "perfected" any one particular smoking staple whether it swim, run, or fly but I find myself lacking inspiration lately having hit a bit of a rut doing the traditional fare as of late.

So here's the question:

What do you guys consider "smoking delicacies"?

I wouldn't mind doing a bunch of small batch higher end items just to change it up a bit and reinspire myself, but would love to hear inspiration from others much more creative and skilled than myself. Even if it's all cure #2 ideas that finally get me to build the curing chamber I've meant to build for so long now.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what you smoke. Some people stick to mostly pork butt and pork ribs and don't venture far off the beaten path.

If you have never cured chicken or turkey and smoked it that is a must to try out.
Also another not so often performed item is to take a good meatloaf recipe and smoke the meatloaf... mmmmm!

Salmon Lox is a cold smoke that many people don't do.

Do you do sausage smoking of any kind or bacon? Perhaps practice and get down smoking pork hams for the holidays.

Ever smoke peppers and grind for spices or just smoke some poblanos for Ancho peppers, or jalapenos for Chipotles.

Ever smoke mac 'n cheese?

Try doing a smoked chicken or turkey galantine (fully debone chicked stuffed with stuff and tied up and cooked.

Ever venture into the world of Jerky? If so ever do ground meat jerky? Ground meat jerky is softer on the teeth and much less labor intensive to whip up. You can try a variety of flavors in jerky alone. I like my Italian Cacciatore one that uses red wine for amazing tangy flavor!

Ever do a pork crown roast or plate beef ribs? Those look spectacular.

I hope some of this give you some ideas that may cause some interest :)

I find myself lacking inspiration lately having hit a bit of a rut
I was in the exact same place a couple of weeks ago . I was starting cooks to late , over cooking almost everything . Bought that 26 " kettle , smoked my first brisket . Learning the fire management and a cut of meat I've never done before was the most fun I've had doing this in a long time . I'm back to thinking what's next .

Not knowing what equipment you have , I'll just throw this out there .
I really enjoy doing sandwich meats ,, whole muscle , poultry breast , eye round and pork loins , ground formed is a blast also . Season it up , make a loaf and smoke it .

Look for the dried sticks pretzels , or the mixed nuts . Both great smokes .
Look at Dave's ham injection . The best ham I've ever eaten . Easy to do .

Just last night I had a friend ask if I had ever smoked Cabbage? I sure think one is only limited by their imagination.

Just last night I had a friend ask if I had ever smoked Cabbage? I sure think one is only limited by their imagination.
Not had it smoked, but grilled is pretty good.
Halves and laid on the flat over med- med high heat and close lid.
Give it 15-20 minutes and then flip.
Let butter and seasonings melt into it over the next 15-20 minutes.
Quarter the halves and serve.

I will be saving this thread and referring back it it for future ideas! Keep em coming :-) you guys are awesome

Oysters are fast and delicious. Assuming you like oysters.

Sausages? Cheese? Start making smoked spices, sauces or condiments?

Smoked cakes or pies?

Smoking your own malts for brewing?

Lightly smoked lobster tails, shrimp, and scallops. Or you can take them up another notch and wrap them in bacon.

Fiddleheads with a little garlic and feta cheese.

Stuffed baby portobello schrooms. Note: I hate schrooms, but the wife loves them.

Chris

Haha. Stuffed mushrooms..I love all things mushrooms, but I bet I have screwed up making stuffed mushrooms more than any other single dish in my life. At best they're wrong, at worst they're almost inedible.

Just can't get the feel for them I guess :-)

Haha. Stuffed mushrooms..I love all things mushrooms, but I bet I have screwed up making stuffed mushrooms more than any other single dish in my life. At best they're wrong, at worst they're almost inedible.

Just can't get the feel for them I guess :-)

I really detest mushrooms, so I've been accused of screwing them up on purpose so I don't have to make them often. Sort of like doing laundry and dishes when I first got married. That worked for about a year or so.

Chris

Reactions: fivetricks
We LOVE Stuffed Mushrooms. We like the Breadcrumb and Cheese filling best but I really like Crab Stuffed Mushrooms. Our problem, nobody in our area carries the Jumbo Caps or the Bulk Boxes, that you can go through for the biggest. We just get the Blue plastic 1/2 Pound containers of Button Mushrooms. To much work making enough for the family with them little mushrooms...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky