Smoked Crawfish!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Well, it's that time of year...

Though prices are high, crawfish are starting to come in....

vypg73ts2quy.jpg

Gotcha! LOL!!!!!

Water is way way way too high right now so though the crawfish are coming out early, they are spread way too thin. Most coming in to market now are pond crawfish....

Last edited:
I looked once into having a sack shipped to Michigan. It was like $700 and I had to pick it up at the airport.

I really want to do a boil, but not that bad. Yeesh.

I looked once into having a sack shipped to Michigan. It was like $700 and I had to pick it up at the airport.

I really want to do a boil, but not that bad. Yeesh.
I have a buddy in Michigan. He and his son caught local crawfish....one at a time...from crawfish holes. They kept the crawfish alive in a wash bucket with a little water. Took them a while to catch enough for a boil..LOL! but it was better than paying $700 to ship. You might try that....

I've eaten local (river) crawfish. No thanks. But to be fair that was a long time ago before I leaned that they have to be purged first.

That would take a long darn time though lol. I guess I think about it like I think about deer. You have deer down there, we have them up here.

You don't hear about the great deep southern deer hunts because for a variety of reasons, they're just better eating up here. In my mind it's the same way with crawfish, seems like they're prob better in your neck of the country.

Ok I can't help myself, I'm a transport to Louisiana (originally from key largo Florida ) but the last 12 year's in Narin pretty south 20 minutes from Venice. My husband (originally from Belle Chasse ) and I have harvested the crawfish from our pond the last few years . But now the fish have them depleted. But I will not pay $6.00 a lb. Lol

And for $700.00 a sack up there I would hop a flight to new Orleans lol.
But that's me. Y'all do have huge deer up there in Michigan .

And for $700.00 a sack up there I would hop a flight to new Orleans lol.
^^^This.
Plane tickets, hotel room, and all you can eat crawfish for 2 (even if you ate it two nights in a row) you would probably come out ahead....and you could even sight see while you are here. Just do it after Easter.

Yes sir, Mudbugs. We do Easter with family and always boil up some good ol crawfish. I just wish they were available all year. I've never had them any other way than boiled. I like to get a bowl of fresh squeezed lemon juice and dunk them just before eating. Like dipping a fry in ketchup. I season the lemon juice and dunk. Delicious.

I actually prefer tails to a crawfish boil. I rather an etouffee or a good ole river road crawfish stew over rice.

BTW, it takes about 9 lbs. of crawfish to yield 1# or tail meat so most of the time you come out ahead just buying the tail meat....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky