Smoked Chuck Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
For the first time in history I (a professional working schlub) have a holiday off that my wife (teacher) doesn't. It is always the other way around. It's a hurricane makeup day here in Orlando so schools are in session - wife and kids are out of the house and it's just me here today, so I'm smoking a chuck roast for dinner tonight and doing taxes (in that order, we'll see if I ever get to the taxes!).

2.5lb roast with SPOG on the 1050 at 225 in hickory smoke. Will wrap in butcher paper at the ~160 mark. Never smoked a chuck before, so we'll see how this goes.

IMG_1300.jpeg
IMG_1301.jpeg
IMG_1303.jpeg

Looks like a great start. Good luck with the taxes. In for the finish.

Jim

Looks good so far
Thanks gents.. we'll see if taxes happen or not! lol

Since you said you haven’t smoked a chucky before - be sure to probe it in several different areas for tenderness, there’s several different parts that don’t cook the same. Enjoy your day!
Appreciate the tip!

Love a smoked chuckie. You plan on pulling it or doing something else?
I think slicing it like you would brisket. We'll see how that pans out...hopefully it holds together and doesn't fall apart!

Reactions: JLeonard
It’s looking good but slow going for only a 2.5lb roast. IT is at 147 now and was shooting to begin rest around 4, doubt that’ll happen. Bumped cook temp to 250, will wrap in butcher paper soon.

Looking good. I love pulled chuck. I have out my taxes off two weekends in a row. No chance I’m doing them on a Monday night

Was debating doing just that and then saw your reply so that seals it.

IT sitting at 158 for a while. Think I’m in the stall.

Reactions: jcam222
IT now 175 and climbing at a good rate. Should be off by 5:30 ish for a rest. All good on dinner 🤣

Yes, and she has that quiet, brooding type of wrath. Way worse than the louder style that tells you exactly what she’s thinking!!

…181 and climbing. Lol

• Haha
Finished product with some air fried potatoes. Great flavor and good smoke ring but could’ve been a bit more tender. Gotta start earlier and take it longer next time.

Attachments

• 672BB7D5-9356-46DF-9B23-90E4A435A288.jpeg
    672BB7D5-9356-46DF-9B23-90E4A435A288.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 25F44152-1D09-462C-96E8-A88390E62E22.jpeg
    25F44152-1D09-462C-96E8-A88390E62E22.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky