Smoked cheese with AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kusinskij

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
New Albany Indiana
Just received my AMNPS. Decided for the first time using it I would also try my hand at cold smoking cheese for the first time. Ran out and picked up one pound each of Mild Cheddar, Colby Jack, Muenster, Pepper Jack and Mozzarella.  Cut all but the mozz into 1/4 pound bars.  Cut the mozz in half, then sliced each half into 3 equal slices.

Cheese cut up before going into the MES40.

It was pushing 90 outside, so I had my MES40 in the workshop with the AC blowing right at it for a few hours.  After it got nice and cold I loaded 1 row of the AMNPS with Pitmasters choice dust. and got it smoking.  While it was burning I put three frozen bottles of water in a foil pan (Idea from Todd's post a few days ago) on the shelf below the cheese.  Put the cheese in the MES and placed the AMNPS on the bottom drip pan. 

After 3 hours in the smoke! 

After 45 minutes the AMNPS was going out.  I pulled it out and started it back up.  This time I pulled the chip tray all the way out.  After 30 minutes it was slowly going out again. This time I pulled the chip loader completely out.  The AMNPS stayed lit after doing that.

It was hard not to try it, so I let it cool down and vacuum sealed the cheese for its rest period.  Cannot wait for it to be done.

Looks Great!

I like the color!!

The days are counting down......

TJ

You did good. Sorry I missed this one earlier as I am the cheese section moderator. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky