Smoked Cheese - Batch Number One of 2018: White Cheddar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well it's starting to cool off enough around here to begin the cold smoking process. Here is a quickie shot of the first batch of cheese for 2018. This one is all Cabot's white cheddar. In the future I'll be doing the Pepper Jack, Horseradish, Hot Habanero, and Swiss.

First lets get the WSM fired up with some hickory dust:
DSC00826.JPG

Now to figure out placement: 19 8oz. blocks
DSC00825.JPG

Pulled after 5hrs. Set on a cooling rack and waiting to be loosely wrapped for an overnighter in the fridge.
DSC00828.JPG

Fast forward to the next day. Taken out of the fridge and ready for vacuum sealing.
DSC00829.JPG

The color has lightened up some, but it will return after a short two week hibernation.
DSC00830.JPG

I tried some and it was a tad strong. Eatable but not where I want it. So in a couple of weeks I'll be ready to pass this out to friends and family. Thanks for taking a looksee.

Chris

Attachments

• DSC00827.JPG
    DSC00827.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 5
Looks fantastic!
It really took on some nice color!
Summer is just hanging on down here in FL. I'm completely out of lox & cheese.
It doesn't look like we are going to get any cool days or nights for a few weeks.
I almost bought a package of lox at the store today, until I saw the price.
This winter I will really stock up on both!
Al

Where do you find cheese cheap enough to smoke up that much at once!?

Cabot goes on sale about every other month or so around here. So I stock up when it does. This batch was 1.75/block.

Chris

Looks fantastic!
It really took on some nice color!
Summer is just hanging on down here in FL. I'm completely out of lox & cheese.
It doesn't look like we are going to get any cool days or nights for a few weeks.
I almost bought a package of lox at the store today, until I saw the price.
This winter I will really stock up on both!
Al

Thanks Al for the kind words and like. It's border line to hot around here also, but we had a cooler day on Friday around 60*. So I had to jump on it. I'm out of Lox also, but I'll be waiting until it gets into the 40's for that smoke.

Lucky man. Cabot is never cheap here! Then again..I also live in WI and should just go to a cheese factory.

Not sure why it goes on sale so much, but I'm glad it does. We also used to be able to buy Ben and Jerry's ice cream dirt cheap, but then Unilever bought them out and the prices went up. Thanks for the like Tom - appreciate it.

Chris

Thanks Al for the kind words and like. It's border line to hot around here also, but we had a cooler day on Friday around 60*. So I had to jump on it. I'm out of Lox also, but I'll be waiting until it gets into the 40's for that smoke.

Not sure why it goes on sale so much, but I'm glad it does. We also used to be able to buy Ben and Jerry's ice cream dirt cheap, but then Unilever bought them out and the prices went up. Thanks for the like Tom - appreciate it.

Chris
No problem man! Shame cheese is hard to ship or I'd start shipping out the local stuff I can get that is weird. <Apple Cinnamon cheese any one?>

Great looking batch of cheese there Chris! Thanks for the reminder to get some more going... I don't like running low on smoked cheese. Especially pepper jack!

Looks great!

Put the cheese on edge and you can fit more.

I've been watching for sales at the commissary.

usually go for Cabot white sharp cheddar or Cracker Barrel white sharp.

If I want something special, I pick up some locally produced award winning Great Lakes white chedar.

i'm down to my last 3 smoked bricks.

Gotta start some soon.

Hope my name is on one of them! They will look even better in afew weeks
Richie

Those are gonna be Fantastic!!
Nice Job!
Like.
I agree with Tom---Cheese runs about $8 a pound around here!!

Bear

No problem man! Shame cheese is hard to ship or I'd start shipping out the local stuff I can get that is weird. <Apple Cinnamon cheese any one?>

Apple Cinnamon? That's one I've never heard of. Sometime around Thanksgiving I'm going start looking into mailing my daughter some of the smoked cheddar. It takes 4 days thru snail mail. May look into UPS or FedEx.

Great looking batch of cheese there Chris! Thanks for the reminder to get some more going... I don't like running low on smoked cheese. Especially pepper jack!

Thanks WHB for the like and kind words. If you like Pepper Jack you should try the Hot Habanero. It's really good.

Chris

Looks great!

Put the cheese on edge and you can fit more.

I've been watching for sales at the commissary.

usually go for Cabot white sharp cheddar or Cracker Barrel white sharp.

If I want something special, I pick up some locally produced award winning Great Lakes white chedar.

i'm down to my last 3 smoked bricks.

Gotta start some soon.

I tried putting them on their edge once. For some reason they don't get the same smoke penetration as when you lie them down flat. In this batch I had two on the edge and you could see a difference in the color. Not to mention the grate dents they also got. Thanks for the suggestion and compliment.

Hope my name is on one of them! They will look even better in afew weeks
Richie

Thanks Richie for the like and kind words appreciate them. This batch is basically spoken for, but when I do my next batch remind me.

Chris

Reactions: bill ace 350
Those are gonna be Fantastic!!
Nice Job!
Like.
I agree with Tom---Cheese runs about $8 a pound around here!!

Bear

Thanks Bear for the compliment and like. Wow $8/pound. Normal/Average prices around here is about 2.50/8oz so 5.00/lb, and I thought VT was expensive to live in.

Chris

Apple Cinnamon? That's one I've never heard of. Sometime around Thanksgiving I'm going start looking into mailing my daughter some of the smoked cheddar. It takes 4 days thru snail mail. May look into UPS or FedEx.

Thanks WHB for the like and kind words. If you like Pepper Jack you should try the Hot Habanero. It's really good.

Chris
WI has mind boggingly weird cheese..

https://store.henningscheese.com/

This place has some of them. Apple cinnamon cheese ..maple Yah. Enjoy ;)

@GATOR240 thanks for the like.

Thanks fished.

Wow they do have some different choices. The Mozza whips and Dragon Breath caught my eye.

Chris
I smoked a block of mango fire and I'm letting it age. I actually want to get to their location, it's about 35 mins from me and get that maple syrup one. So the next time in your WI..you know where to find weird stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky