smoked cashews

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lamar

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
Bridgton Me
Made a mistake and got unsalted cashews. How to keep salt on them? Took a ziplock bag and put about a cup of the nuts in it. Then, put about a teaspoon of my home brewed maple syrup and rolled them around till all were covered. Placed them on a splatter screen, salted good and finished with a light dusting of chili powder and put them in my cold smoler for three hours.

Then, put them in the oven at 220 for a couple of hours. After they cooled, they were not sticky to pick up, but the taste is just short of wonderful. Have another batch going now. Will cook them in the oven longer today to get a more roasted flavor.

Reactions: disco
You can also blanch raw cashews in boiling salted water for 2 minutes - 4 Tbs salt and 1 Tbs chili powder to the litre. Lay them out on a tray in the smoker for as long as you want - I leave mine overnight. The next day roast them in the oven at about 80 C (175 F) until they have firmed up. This usually takes about 45 minutes. The salt and heat are then inside the cashew itself rather than just on the surface - and the effect grows in your mouth  the more of them you eat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky