Smoked Calamari Rings With Black Rice!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leah elisheva

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Seacoast of New Hampshire
Happy Tuesday Fabulous Smokers!

I had some frozen calamari rings from the fabulous "Bexx" line from Portugal which I adore (all of their frozen goods) and decided to smoke them up!

I mixed some raw Vidalia onion, chopped sweet raw peppers and some fresh basil,

Started boiling some black rice,

Mopped the rings through safflower oil for high heat,

oiled the grill grates on the little smoker too, and layered on the rings!

I smoked these on the humble gas smoker with luscious hickory chips, lowish heat (240 maybe?) for 15 minutes.

And I added the onion mixture to the black rice, once eating nearly half of it raw,

And started plating my little lunchtime creation...
adding some fresh basil sprigs...
And then the smoked calamari which smelled incredibly and got lovely color!

And then I used some simple albeit wonderful and healthful seasonings: avocado oil, a freshly squeezed lemon - & it's ZEST -

And my new favorite "crush item" from Trader Joe's, which is a grinder of smoked paprika flakes, sea salt, garlic and basil. WON-DER-FUL! I am now putting that on everything! Even the dogs! Well, OK you get the idea, as it is MARVELOUS! Go grind away!!!

And then I squeezed the lemon and added all the above jazz...and VOILA! The food was just downright harmonious and amazing, if I may be so humble and admit such myself!

These are soft and succulent, and I have had this BEXX line deep fried in coconut flour too and it is baby soft! A fabulous product!

Here's wishing everyone a little calamari safari today and with fabulous things!
Thanks for sharing in my lunch!
Cheers!!!! - Leah

Last edited:
That looks Awesome, Leah!!
icon14.gif

Looks Mighty Tasty!!
drool.gif
---------------------
points.gif

I gotta find some of those frozen rings!!

The only Calamari I ever had was as an appetizer "Fried" from local Steak Hoagie joints, and those are like seasoned rubber bands!!

Bear

Leah That is some nice looking Calamari,it took on a lot of smoke color.Your plating is super every time.

points.gif

Thank you so much everyone!!! Bear; I know what you mean with tough rings normally. This frozen "Bexx" line of seafood and fish is just superb! Softest calamari rings I have ever tasted anywhere - as mentioned, great when deep fried in a healthy flour (coconut) and healthy oil (grapeseed or avocado or rice bran) and smoked just made them savory and soft and amazing really too! Thanks tons!

OH - and their other frozen fish - whole sardines, mackerel, hake, nile perch, smelts and so forth; don't taste frozen at all and are fantastic! No added junk - all wild caught in Portugal! I think you'd love the line Bear!

And Bigd3077; thanks very much! I love plating just as much as eating and am touched that my simpleton way is enjoyed out there! Thanks indeed!

Hi Dave! I appreciate your words tons, and can recommend this brand! The rings actually shrunk a teeny bit when smoking but are pretty fat & so soft that you can just pulled the fried ones apart - making an onion ring appear as it's hard as a rock by comparison! A fun line of products! Thanks so much for the good words!

Tropics, thanks too! The smoke color did get on them and quickly, but the HICKORY flavor really seemed to soften and flavor these too! A fun choice! Thanks for such nice plating words!

Oh Disco! Happy summer to you great folks in the north! Thank you ever so much for points and kind words! I've been out of touch and miss you all here, and must check out your blog too as I am WAY overdue! Many thanks!!!!!

Thanks very much Mummel! Your "WOW + 1" did make me smile! That's very kind.

Cheers to everyone! It's almost wine o'clock, or so I think, and so may everyone enjoy the sunshine and then the cocktail hour too! - Leah

Thank you so much everyone!!!

Hi Dave! I appreciate your words tons, and can recommend this brand! The rings actually shrunk a teeny bit when smoking but are pretty fat & so soft that you can just pulled the fried ones apart - making an onion ring appear as it's hard as a rock by comparison! A fun line of products! Thanks so much for the good words!

Cheers to everyone! It's almost wine o'clock, or so I think, and so may everyone enjoy the sunshine and then the cocktail hour too! - Leah

When I had my charter business, I had access to 25# blocks of frozen squid... $7 for 25#'s.... I always used a few for bait but we always had fresh calamari to eat at home and on the boat.. the box said " for bait only " but that was BS....

Oh Dave, what a delicacy!
I would have been gulping bait left & right!
You were so fortunate! What an amazing stash you had access too!
That's wild!!
Happy midweek! Make today delicious!
Cheers! - Leah

Wow! Thats the largest rubber bands I ever saw! I was in the service in Spain when I had my first Calamari and I fell in love. They are so hard to prepare though, half the places that sell 'em don't know how to cook them so they are edible. Those are monsterious! Most that I have seen were maybe hand length whole.

I am laughing at Daves story..... I had a boss once who told our manufactures after a fishing trip that I would swap the fish for the bait to take home.

I like Calamari and yours look great!

Thank you so much Foamheart!

And the calamari in Spain just must have been Godlike and amazing! Lucky you!

But yes, I need a T-shirt that says; "I eat bait & I like it!" Smiles.

Happy midweek!!!! Cheers!!! - Leah

Leah,

You said from Portugal, and Frozen, but "Where" do you buy it?  Super Market? Specialty shop? Seafood store?

Bear

Hi Bear!

I buy it in our regular grocery store, "Market Basket" (that went through the famous family feud and closing and reopening) here in New England. The brand is "BEXX" and most of their things are in an orange bag in the frozen section but the calamari rings are in a bright yellow bag. Amazing!

I hope you can find some!!! Cheers! - Leah (Had their smelts today - also frozen from Portugal - and they were amazing)!!!

Last edited:
Thanks a Bunch, Leah!!

I will definitely be on the lookout---They must be great when they aren't breaded & turned into Rubber Bands!!!

Those Smelts look Great too. I haven't had them since My Dad & I used to catch them through the ice, back in the 60s & 70s at Fairview Lake in Pike County, PA.

Bear

Fantastic Dirtsailor! That's wonderful!

I stopped eating in restaurants altogether, when I got a dog! And it was one of the best things I ever did!

And while I love to get the real full squid and clean them myself, which I do at times, these mere rings are the softest I have ever had anywhere in the world!

Thanks for the great words and links as well!

Happy midweek of wonderful things to you!!!! It's finally summer!!!! Yay!!!!

Cheers! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky