Smoked butter???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

arnie

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
West Liberty, Iowa
We went across the river for a mini family reunion and ate at a Montana Jack’s. This was my first time in a Montana Jack’s I thought the food was good, but I did not try the Q. I opted for the blackened grouper since I haven had any since we moved from Florida many 24 hours ago.

Among other things they brought to the table there was fresh baked bread with two kinds of whipped butter. One of the whipped butter had bits of strawberries. I’ve had that before and it’s ok, just not what I wanted. The other whipped butter had a slight hickory smoked flavor to it. At first I thought I was imagining the very slight smoky taste, particularly since my wife didn’t say anything (she is a picky eater and lately has been complaining about how much I smoke). Someone at my table mentioned the faint smoke taste and as we were talking about it my wife admitted she hadn’t noticed it until we started talking about it.

Has anyone here ever attempted smoking butter? I just ordered a cold smoke baffle for smoking cheese, and smoked butter really has me intrigued.

Looks like i will have to get a stick of butter.. my wife is going to think i am nuts lol
PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif

OH yea cold smoked butter sounds good. I don't know why it wouldn't be good. I remember someone smoked some ice cream way back when but I don't remember how it turned out. 

Last edited:
saw this on:  http://www.playingwithfireandwater.com/foodplay/2009/10/smoked-butter.html

Heavy cream smoked over hickory chips.

Smoky butter and buttermilk: two products for the price of one.

Full, deep penetration of flavor: priceless. 

A few tips that I've learned about making butter:

cream must be thoroughly chilled before churning-- overnight is best.  

after churning, turn cream out into sieve and let drain thoroughly at room         temperature (the fat globules will stick together easier when soft).

tossing and pressing on the fat globules while they are draining will also           make it easier to cream and eliminates the "washing step". With infused       cream, washing with water seems to dilute flavor and wastes buttermilk.

icon_cool.gif

I'm not sure about this whole smoked butter thing. Shouldn't we leave something that not smoked??????

If I had to guess I would have to say that they used softened butter and liquid smoke. I dont think a restaruant is going to take the time to smoke that much butter. It would be something we would do as individuals but unless the restaurant has the ability to cold smoke it would tough. 

Smoked butter sounds interesting, but smoked ice cream, I don't think so!

OH yea cold smoked butter sounds good. I don't know why it wouldn't be good. I remember someone smoked some ice cream way back when but I don't remember how it turned out. 

We went across the river for a mini family reunion and ate at a Montana Jack’s. This was my first time in a Montana Jack’s I thought the food was good, but I did not try the Q. I opted for the blackened grouper since I haven had any since we moved from Florida many 24 hours ago.

Among other things they brought to the table there was fresh baked bread with two kinds of whipped butter. One of the whipped butter had bits of strawberries. I’ve had that before and it’s ok, just not what I wanted. The other whipped butter had a slight hickory smoked flavor to it. At first I thought I was imagining the very slight smoky taste, particularly since my wife didn’t say anything (she is a picky eater and lately has been complaining about how much I smoke). Someone at my table mentioned the faint smoke taste and as we were talking about it my wife admitted she hadn’t noticed it until we started talking about it.

Has anyone here ever attempted smoking butter? I just ordered a cold smoke baffle for smoking cheese, and smoked butter really has me intrigued.
They probably use smoked salt, that's what I would do.

41d62cfb_hickorysalt.jpg

I've been smoking butter for a while now.  It's best to do it in the winter, obviously.  It adds great flavor to fish and shrimp dishes, and it profiles well with garlic.  Also handy when you don't have time to smoke.  As for foods to leave unsmoked, I nominate Oreos.

I have been trying to search a way how to use my smoker. I have an original barrel with indirect heat and wondering how I could smoke butter without it melting. I have never cold smoked, but geared up to try. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky