Smoked Brook Trout & Tilapia (Hickory Smoke)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think one of my reasons for liking Catties best is I hate picking bones.
When I was little, my Dad would go to the River overnight, and bring home his limit (50) to feed the family.
Catfish is the only fish that we don't fillet. All we ever did was Skin them, Gut them, and cut the heads off.
Then after we fry them, you just hold the head-end of the backbone, and scrape your fork from head to tail. then flip it over & do the same thing on the other side. Now you have a pile of awesome meat, and every bone that fish had is still all in one piece.

Bear

We did that with Trout. Except we ate the hide, too.

We did that with Trout. Except we ate the hide, too.

No Trout have fine bones, and if you don't fillet them, you will be sitting & picking bones while eating. And the "Hides" are completely different. You can eat the Trout skin, but the skin on a Catfish is like a Rubber Wet Suit---Not to be eaten.
So like I said, NO bone picking if you do a Catfish the way I said above.

Bear

No Trout have fine bones, and if you don't fillet them, you will be sitting & picking bones while eating. And the "Hides" are completely different. You can eat the Trout skin, but the skin on a Catfish is like a Rubber Wet Suit---Not to be eaten.
So like I said, NO bone picking if you do a Catfish the way I said above.

Bear

Oh, these were panfish. Trout that fit nice in a cast iron skillet. If you filet one you'd get nothin. Dad loved Dixey Fry, I'm shocked it's still around.
When you could lift the head, and the bones separated out of the meat, it was ready to eat. Filet on the plate, you could say. 10" to 14" as a rule.
Dad never liked catfish or bass. So we grew up creek fishin in the High Sierras for Rainbows, German Browns, and Speckled trout (Brook trout). I do like Bass, but never have acquired a taste for Cats. No doubt if I could find some fixed right that could change.
Betty's Dad LOVES catfish. But he grew up on the Mississippi, in the Delta, on a houseboat. Last one of a dozen youngins.
Anyway, yeah, we done our fish that way. Anymore there is too much asphalt and A'holes scrabblin for the same fishin hole, and idiots trying to keep everybody out.
Ain't nothin like it were.

Oh, these were panfish. Trout that fit nice in a cast iron skillet. If you filet one you'd get nothin. Dad loved Dixey Fry, I'm shocked it's still around.
When you could lift the head, and the bones separated out of the meat, it was ready to eat. Filet on the plate, you could say. 10" to 14" as a rule.
Dad never liked catfish or bass. So we grew up creek fishin in the High Sierras for Rainbows, German Browns, and Speckled trout (Brook trout). I do like Bass, but never have acquired a taste for Cats. No doubt if I could find some fixed right that could change.
Betty's Dad LOVES catfish. But he grew up on the Mississippi, in the Delta, on a houseboat. Last one of a dozen youngins.
Anyway, yeah, we done our fish that way. Anymore there is too much asphalt and A'holes scrabblin for the same fishin hole, and idiots trying to keep everybody out.
Ain't nothin like it were.

It might vary from State to State, however:
Catfish is my All-Time favorite Eating Fish, because done the way I explained removes ALL bones in one piece. Even the rib cage stays attached to the backbone, and there are no other bones in a catfish that aren't connected directly to that backbone.
However they must be caught in the Spring in a Cold climate state like PA (for best flavor), and they should be under 18" long for best eating (preferably 10" to 12" range).

Trout are Fine, but too many fine bones throughout.
Don't ask me what my second favorite is, but I can tell you it's flesh is the closest to a catfish of all.

Bear

Reactions: SonnyE
Well, My dad and son brought me 12 nice rainbow trout fillets today, with instructions that I am to smoke some for my dad. I figured none of Bears recipes/instructions have left me down yet, so I guess tomorrow I'll brinning and smoking on sunday. The nice thing is they brought me the fish already cleaned and filleted, with all the bones removed. Trout can be a little tricky with getting the bones out, but they did a beautiful job with them.

Well, My dad and son brought me 12 nice rainbow trout fillets today, with instructions that I am to smoke some for my dad. I figured none of Bears recipes/instructions have left me down yet, so I guess tomorrow I'll brinning and smoking on sunday. The nice thing is they brought me the fish already cleaned and filleted, with all the bones removed. Trout can be a little tricky with getting the bones out, but they did a beautiful job with them.

That's Great !!
Be careful how long you Brine them (go by the thickness that I mentioned in the Text).
My Son always brought fish to me like that, but he's been slacking lately.
I excuse him, because his Tower business is doing Great.

Bear

That's Great !!
Be careful how long you Brine them (go by the thickness that I mentioned in the Text).
My Son always brought fish to me like that, but he's been slacking lately.
I excuse him, because his Tower business is doing Great.

Bear

Well, my son in only 16 and still lives at home. He was just lucky enough to get to spend the morning fishing with his grandfather and great grandfather today. I'll be sure to be careful on the brine, and thanks for the heads up.

Wow!! 4 Generations!!
16, 40, 60, and 80!!
That's a lot of Trout with a 5 Trout Limit.
Back in my Day the limit in PA was 8.
Let me know how you like it.

Bear

Wow!! 4 Generations!!
16, 40, 60, and 80!!
That's a lot of Trout with a 5 Trout Limit.
Back in my Day the limit in PA was 8.
Let me know how you like it.

Bear
They went fishing at Limestone Springs in Richland, PA which is a private hatchery/Preserve, and you pay for what you catch by weight. No limit on fish, but it can get pricey if you get carried away.

4 generations are actually 16,40, 75, & 96. Trust me when I say that 96 year old hasn't slowed down much either. No grass grows under his feet.

They went fishing at Limestone Springs in Richland, PA which is a private hatchery/Preserve, and you pay for what you catch by weight. No limit on fish, but it can get pricey if you get carried away.

4 generations are actually 16,40, 75, & 96. Trust me when I say that 96 year old hasn't slowed down much either. No grass grows under his feet.

LOL---Staying in shape for those Fightin' PA Trout!!
I used to see the guy on the roof down there, with the "York" Barbells, when I drove to York to pick up Machines for my Cabinet Shop, at a place called "Wilke Machine". This was 25-30 years ago.

Bear

Reactions: JZ_Focus
So I brined the trout on Sunday for 4 hours, put them in the fridge over night to form pelical, and then smoked them per your instructions Monday starting at 6am. My dad loved them! I'm not a big trout person, but I have to admit, these did turn out really good. I've got to say Bear, everything I've tried from your Step by Steps has been awesome.
fish.jpg

Reactions: Bearcarver
So I brined the trout on Sunday for 4 hours, put them in the fridge over night to form pelical, and then smoked them per your instructions Monday starting at 6am. My dad loved them! I'm not a big trout person, but I have to admit, these did turn out really good. I've got to say Bear, everything I've tried from your Step by Steps has been awesome.

That's Great!
That's what I like to hear!!
Yours look Beautiful too!!
Like.

Bear

I will be trying this Saturday caught a few small brookies in the adirondacks cant wait to give it a try!

Was great can't wait to go catch some more and do it again!

Oh Yeah---That's some Tasty Brookies, right there.:)
And those 5 would be a Daily Limit if it was in PA.
Go get some more---They're a good Health Food!!:D

Bear

Haha I just saw in the original post that you do , will be trying it tomorrow with some salmon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky