Smoked Brook Trout & Tilapia (Hickory Smoke)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Lucky that i went to your profile to see if you put anything new other wise a would missed this one .

it looks yummy and a great step by step recipe ,the Qview is closer to a bearview
biggrin.gif

thanks  
Thanks Aaron !!!

Those little Brookies are such a pretty fish!!!

Tasty too!!!  
biggrin.gif

Bear

Holey poop!!!   I saw $12.00 for a 8 POUND trout and thought thats reasonable..  8", hell, we use them lil sucker fer bait up here..lololol

Been awhile since I kept a trout with all the salmon, but 12 buck?? my lord, I need to hook up with ya bear bro and I will ship 3-6 pound bows for darn near that price..lolol

Rich

(spoiled in Alaska)

Holey poop!!!   I saw $12.00 for a 8 POUND trout and thought thats reasonable..  8", hell, we use them lil sucker fer bait up here..lololol

Been awhile since I kept a trout with all the salmon, but 12 buck?? my lord, I need to hook up with ya bear bro and I will ship 3-6 pound bows for darn near that price..lolol

Rich

(spoiled in Alaska)
LOL----That was Gene, in Tahiti that has the expensive trout. I guess the water's too warm there. They have mermaids there, instead. We got loads of trout in PA. No Salmon, but lots of Trout. We have to go to NY for Salmon.

Thanks Rich,

Bear

I know I'm a little late to the party but tilapia is an iffy fish and I try to stay clear of it personally. Pollutants and handling aside, there is very little nutritional value in them.

Those brookies looked delicious though. Especially if they were natural Brooks. They seem to have a slightly sweeter, almost Smokey flavor to them. A lot of the smaller ones I don't even scale, the scales are small enough to not cause any problems eating them.

I'm in PA too. I can't wait till season opens up, I wanna smoke some. I've never had smoked trout.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I know I'm a little late to the party but tilapia is an iffy fish and I try to stay clear of it personally. Pollutants and handling aside, there is very little nutritional value in them.

Those brookies looked delicious though. Especially if they were natural Brooks. They seem to have a slightly sweeter, almost Smokey flavor to them. A lot of the smaller ones I don't even scale, the scales are small enough to not cause any problems eating them.

I'm in PA too. I can't wait till season opens up, I wanna smoke some. I've never had smoked trout.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Thanks Neighbor!!

I didn't have anything else to smoke, and the Pretty little Brookies weren't enough for a real smoke, so I just threw the Tilapia in to fill my rack.

Pennsy Trout are always Great !!

Bear

Can't wait to try this one. Newbie question--what is AMNS? I'm thinking is your smoking material.

Thanks Bear.

Marty

Can't wait to try this one. Newbie question--what is AMNS? I'm thinking is your smoking material.

Thanks Bear.

Marty
That's Great, Marty!!

You'll love it !!

The AMNS is the original smoking Maze from Amazing Smokers. It was designed to be used with Sawdust only.

Since that, the 5" X 8" AMNPS was introduced, and it's the greatest invention to the Smoking World!! It can be used in a wider range of smoker temps, and you can use both Dust or Pellets.

Here is where they come from-----The inventor & owner is a Sponsor & Member of this site, and is an Awesome Guy:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/default.asp

Bear

Forgive me if this has been answered already. Is there any reason we can't eat the smoked tilapia fillets the same day as smoking them ? We're gonna try this recipe tomorrow.

Forgive me if this has been answered already. Is there any reason we can't eat the smoked tilapia fillets the same day as smoking them ? We're gonna try this recipe tomorrow.

No reason not to eat some right after smoking.
However when smoked this way, I believe it actually tastes better when cold.

Bear

Looks good Bear!
I use to go high in the Sierras for some Brookies and Goldens in my youth (<20's). Those were my eat'n fish.
On Wednesdays, they stocked the streams. I would catch a limit of them for the smoker. Smoked they were great.
But the Rainbow Trout they raised to plant were raised in warmer water. What use to take 3 years to raise in water from snow melt creek water, took 8 months in warmer well water.
It was all about economics, Faster fish cost less to produce. Mushy to eat, but fine smoked.

Sorry, but I avoid Talapia, and don't like catfish.:confused:
Love Salmon though. Nowadays I catch my fish at Costco. Come to think about it, the last two bags cost as much as a fishin license.:eek:

Looks good Bear!
I use to go high in the Sierras for some Brookies and Goldens in my youth (<20's). Those were my eat'n fish.
On Wednesdays, they stocked the streams. I would catch a limit of them for the smoker. Smoked they were great.
But the Rainbow Trout they raised to plant were raised in warmer water. What use to take 3 years to raise in water from snow melt creek water, took 8 months in warmer well water.
It was all about economics, Faster fish cost less to produce. Mushy to eat, but fine smoked.

Sorry, but I avoid Talapia, and don't like catfish.:confused:
Love Salmon though. Nowadays I catch my fish at Costco. Come to think about it, the last two bags cost as much as a fishin license.:eek:

I avoid Tilapia most of the time too, but Catfish (under 15") have always been my favorite eating fish.
I rarely buy Salmon ($$$$), but wait for my Son to bring me some from Pulaski, NY.
I believe The Trout they stock in PA are raised in colder water, although maybe not quite as cold as a pure mountain stream.

Bear

Reactions: SonnyE
Great idea using the tilapia, John! We are fortunate in having high mountain lakes which contain stocked rainbow, and native brook trout. The brookies have a flesh that is so orange, it looks like salmon, and tastes fantastic. I've smoked these for a long time, but have never thought of tilapia. I have read that the Kirkland filets at Costco are safe.

Great idea using the tilapia, John! We are fortunate in having high mountain lakes which contain stocked rainbow, and native brook trout. The brookies have a flesh that is so orange, it looks like salmon, and tastes fantastic. I've smoked these for a long time, but have never thought of tilapia. I have read that the Kirkland filets at Costco are safe.

We don't have much in natives in lakes, but we have some streams that spawn & support native Brookies & Browns. However they're pretty small, and we throw them back, even though they are actually legal.
They sure are Pretty!!!
I try to fry any Tilapia I get, and if I smoke them, I make sure I take them to at least 140°, because of stories I've read about how they raise them in foreign hatcheries. I never know which are which at the stores.

Bear

I avoid Tilapia most of the time too, but Catfish (under 15") have always been my favorite eating fish.
I rarely buy Salmon ($$$$), but wait for my Son to bring me some from Pulaski, NY.
I believe The Trout they stock in PA are raised in colder water, although maybe not quite as cold as a pure mountain stream.

Bear

The wife's Dad in Tennessee loves Catfish. He was raised on the Mississippi River in Mississippi.
That was many moons ago. But Mom makes sure he gets a treat now and then...
I guess I'm just spoiled. :) My Dad raised us fishin the streams in the Eastern Sierras. Before it got crowded. I don't go there much anymore, it's too sad. This whole State is sad.
Well, off to Sam's club for a few staples. I'll probably look in the freezers to see what the catch of the day is.... :D
I wish I lived in your neck of the woods.. But that would add to a problem, not solve it. ;) So I'll just stay in the State of Denial.

The wife's Dad in Tennessee loves Catfish. He was raised on the Mississippi River in Mississippi.
That was many moons ago. But Mom makes sure he gets a treat now and then...
I guess I'm just spoiled. :) My Dad raised us fishin the streams in the Eastern Sierras. Before it got crowded. I don't go there much anymore, it's too sad. This whole State is sad.
Well, off to Sam's club for a few staples. I'll probably look in the freezers to see what the catch of the day is.... :D
I wish I lived in your neck of the woods.. But that would add to a problem, not solve it. ;) So I'll just stay in the State of Denial.

I think one of my reasons for liking Catties best is I hate picking bones.
When I was little, my Dad would go to the River overnight, and bring home his limit (50) to feed the family.
Catfish is the only fish that we don't fillet. All we ever did was Skin them, Gut them, and cut the heads off.
Then after we fry them, you just hold the head-end of the backbone, and scrape your fork from head to tail. then flip it over & do the same thing on the other side. Now you have a pile of awesome meat, and every bone that fish had is still all in one piece.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky