Smoked Brisket...FINALLY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
As some of you may remember, I picked up my new offset from TMG Pits back in mid-May. Due to schedules and life changes, I've only gotten to cook on it a couple of times. But I told everyone that this weekend I was smoking a brisket or 2 and they were all welcome to come, but it was going to happen with or without them. And besides, it's my wife's best friend's 60th birthday.

I had 2 choice whole briskets that I bought at Kroger. These were around 14 lbs. each...
thumbnail (3).jpg

Trimmed them and seasoned one the Aaron Franklin way and one with all purpose rub recipe from Malcolm Reed. Into the fridge overnight. Didn't weigh it, but I had a gallon bag full of fat/trimmings that I trimmed off the 2 briskets. That'll be saved for the upcoming deer season or whatever other need may come along.
thumbnail.jpg

Got up at 3am to fire up the smoker. White oak is the choice for today. Took about 1 1/2 hours to get up to temp and the smoke to get right. Briskets went on about 4:30. Now it's time to drink coffee and feed this beast. After a couple of hours and the sun starting to wake up the world, I got a good look at the smoke.
thumbnail (6).jpg

Enough coffee and sitting around, time to peel some potatoes for smoked cheesy scalloped potatoes.
- 10 lbs. of potatoes peeled and sliced about 1/8" thick on a mandolin
- Chopped up Vidalia onion
- Parmesan cheese, extra sharp cheddar, and gruyere mixed together. No real measuring, just use a bunch
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 8 TBSP all purpose flour for each pan
- Quart of half & half for each pan
Melt the butter in the pans and layer in the potatoes and onions. Salt and pepper and sprinkle in flour and cheese mixture. Keep repeating in layers until everything in the pans. Pour in a quart of half & half in each pan. If necessary, add enough whole milk to almost cover the potatoes. I sprinkled some of the dry rub on the top. Ready for the smoker.
20210724_112246.jpg

Into the smoker after the brisket has been in for 4 hours or so. I get to take a peek...
thumbnail (7).jpg

On to the next project which is poppers for an appetizer. I had a couple of smoked thighs from earlier this week so I pulled all the meat off of the bone and gave the skin to Lucy.
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg

I made boats out of the peppers and stuffed them with cream cheese well seasoned with the dry rub. The smoked thigh meat went on top and then they were bacon wrapped and dusted with a KC style rub. The pan on the right has peppers stuffed with my wife's homemade pimento cheese. No chicken, just wrapped and dusted with the rub. No finished pics, they didn't last too long....
thumbnail (4).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (8).jpg

Another appetizer was Mexican street corn. Eaten with either Scoops or on soft taco shells. Most just ate it with the Scoops...
thumbnail (9).jpg

Made a tomato pie and smoked mac and cheese. I roasted a pan of fresh carrots, but no pic.
thumbnail (10).jpg
20210724_182858.jpg

Brisket temp is running around 200℉, but probing tender, time to pull. After a brief rest, everyone is getting hungry, it's time to slice them. I separated the points from the flats and sliced each individually..
thumbnail (12).jpg
thumbnail (11).jpg

Everyone is starving so time to eat. Brisket, roasted carrots, smoked cheesy scalloped potatoes, and tomato pie....
thumbnail (13).jpg

The brisket was smoked with white oak for about 14 hours at 225℉-250℉ until probe tender. I wrapped the brisket in foil at about 170℉, around 9 hours in. It came out very moist and tender, but almost too tender. It wanted to shred when slicing. Internal temp was around 200℉. This was not my first brisket, but the first on my new offset. Just more evidence that brisket is done when it's done.

The potatoes took about 4 hours to get tender. I added more cheese on top and smoked for another 15 minutes or so until it melted.

The mac and cheese was smoked for about 1 1/2 hours until the cheese started to brown. Probably could've gone a little longer to get a little more brown or place it on the top rack in the smoker.

Overall, I'm happy with the outcome, but always room for improvement.

Last edited:
Wow, quite the work out for your Rig, and you. That's a great looking meal. I think I would have been fine withe the Taters and Tomato Pie. I too need to investigate how its made...JJ

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
This all looks wonderful, very nice.....Tomato pie, I will have to look this up

David
Wow, quite the work out for your Rig, and you. That's a great looking meal. I think I would have been fine withe the Taters and Tomato Pie. I too need to investigate how its made...JJ
Oh Man! It all looks great! The sides kind of steal the show from the Brisket LOL!
That tomato pie needs looked into. I've never heard of it.

Tomato pie is something we make this time of the year when fresh tomatoes are abundant. It's basically a pie made with tomatoes, onions, and cheese instead of a fruit filling. We use store bought pie crust and your favorite cheese will work. Word of caution, we do not make this in an aluminum pie pan, the acid in the tomatoes will break down the aluminum. We always use a glass or ceramic pie plate.

Looks great, but I have 2 observations.

1. I wish the pics were bigger so my mouth could water even more.

2. The Chicago area where I live sucks. Can't go to a regular grocery store like you can and get a brisket like that. Awesome.

• Haha
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
What a fantastic looking meal. Nicely done. I’m sure everyone raved about it.
We had quite a crowd here and no one left hungry. Thank you.
Awesome looking meal. A lot of work, but I bet you had some happy guests!
Al
Yes Al, it was a lot of work, but work that I enjoy. Thank you.
There ya go right there. All looks good.
Thank you.
Outstanding meal and a great write-up Excellent job all around and lots of fantastic looking food.

Robert
Thank you, Robert. I try to tell things in such a way that anyone can duplicate them .
Strong work right there . Very nice .
Thank you for the kind words.
That all looks delicious! Great meal!
Thank you, Adam
Wow, what a feast!! Everything both looks and sounds delicious.
I never thought about smoked scalloped potatoes, but I'm sure going to make some now.
You can add me to the "never heard of tomato pie" crowd, but it sounds like a keeper.
Great job all around.
Gary
Never really thought about it, but maybe tomato pie is a southern thing. We've always made it when home grown tomatoes become abundant as they are right now and I just assumed that most everyone had heard of it. Thank you for the kind words, Gary.
Looks great, but I have 2 observations.

1. I wish the pics were bigger so my mouth could water even more.

2. The Chicago area where I live sucks. Can't go to a regular grocery store like you can and get a brisket like that. Awesome.
Thank you, Texan. Kroger was running them on sale regularly for $1.99/lb. until all this inflation caused the price of everything to skyrocket. Now a good deal is $2.99/lb., but I don't expect to see that again for a long time. Sam's was selling prime for $3.48/lb., but not anymore. I'm afraid to look at their price now.
Hell of a meal you got going there. Looks fantastic.
Thank you, Norman

Reactions: Displaced Texan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky