SMOKED BELLY BACON

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello Gary.  Educate me a little here.  As you know I have not yet cured bacon ( plan to very soon ).  I see you own a vacuum sealer.  So why not cure in the vac bags?  Just seems to me cure and the "brine" which is produced would stay in better contact with the meat if vac packed.  I'm sure there must be a reason why folks use zip lock, I just don't know what that reason may be.  Great job on the bacon and fantastic "how to" with pictures.  Thanks for sharing.  Keep Smokin!
Danny
I used the Vacuum Sealer to put the slabs in for curing. Worked well. No risk of sucking the juices out of the bag as long as you get them in the bag quickly.

I want to add a comment to my post. This is without a doubt the best Bacon I have had. Not saying that because I did it, I just followed directions. I notice when I am frying ti up It cooks different than store bought It really looks like Bacon Should, And the Flavor is Fantastic. I smoked it for 10 hours using Pecan and Maple Chunks a real mild smokey flavor. My wife absolutely loved it. I hadn't even finished vacuum sealing all the bags and she was getting the ends to make homemade split pea soup. The smokey bacon really kicked it up a notch Fantastic flavor.
This will be something I will keep all the time.
Here is a picture of breakfast bacon with some Canadian bacon ends thrown in

Looks tasty. Hopefully will be slicing ours tomorrow, depends on how worn out we are from Tamale Day.

Gary

That is some fine looking belly. The color is spot on and you proved a stick burner can go low and slow 
th_Slab_of_meat.gif
. Nice job on the 
sawzall.gif
!

As you said it is as easy as 1-2-3.
points.gif
 Now your hooked.

Take a look at my porkrind pellet thread http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/131873/pork-rind-pellets-from-scratch. This is a tasty way to use the skins.

Happy smoken.

David

Hello Gary.  Educate me a little here.  As you know I have not yet cured bacon ( plan to very soon ).  I see you own a vacuum sealer.  So why not cure in the vac bags?  Just seems to me cure and the "brine" which is produced would stay in better contact with the meat if vac packed.  I'm sure there must be a reason why folks use zip lock, I just don't know what that reason may be.  Great job on the bacon and fantastic "how to" with pictures.  Thanks for sharing.  Keep Smokin!

Danny
Danny

I have a chamber vacuum sealer so their is no danger of getting the liquid in the machine. The bags are cheaper than zip lock so I use it when I cure. I can't say yes or no as to whether it does a better job.

This is a small loin for CB.

Happy smoken.

David

Hey Thanks David for the nice comment and point. I'll be looking at your thread Wife wants to do the pork rind this weekend

Gary

Thanks Old School

Gary

What didja do with juice? Thought you was to let it soak back into belly.
Different pieces of meat reabsorb different amounts of the juices.

If you cure for 8, 10, 12, or 14 days, or whatever proper length of time, whatever is left is left.

The important thing is to not dump it out until your curing time is over.

Once the meat is cured, it's no longer needed.

Bear

Thanks Bear.  I had 6 bags, one had very little almost no liquid a couple had some not to much and the rest had the majority,the thicker leaner pieces.  It cured for 10 days

Gary

Thanks Bear.  I had 6 bags, one had very little almost no liquid a couple had some not to much and the rest had the majority,the thicker leaner pieces.  It cured for 10 days

Gary
I know-------I was near East Texas watching over you.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

You did an Awesome Job!!

Bear

icon14.gif

icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Gary
Can't believe I am late to this party. What a great job on the Bacon and the step by step. My PC has been giving me problems so I just formatted and reinstalled every thing.Thanks for sharing
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

points.gif

Last edited:
Thank's tropics  for the nice Comment and the Point

Gary

Hey Gary! That is one sweet job. It reminds me of the bacon that we used to make in my Dad's shop.

I'll take a stacked bacon sammie with a side of bacon!

On the Way Dutch  and thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky