Smoked beef tongue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokie bill

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
   I know this may sound strange to all you guys out there who are into smoking ribs, brisket, hams, pork roasts, etc. (me too), but I'd like to know if anyone has ever smoked a beef tongue.  I have cooked them by boiling in spices & then pressure cooking.  They are delicious.  I read in a cookbook about smoking a tongue & it said to smoke it & then pressure cook it.  Was just wondering if anyone has ever done this & if so, how did you do it......times & temp?

Bill

You know I was thinking about doing a tongue the other day while buying ribeyes. I have never done one but have eaten many tongue sammies in years past..Looking forward to the info...nice post...thanks

My dad at his store would bring in beef tongue; whatever didn't sell fresh he'd pickle in ham brine and smoke and sell them smoked.  He would cook up one occasionally; as I remember he would roast it in the oven, peel the outer layer off and slice it and we'd eat it with beer and crackers up at camp; usually during some hotly contested penny pitch tournaments, lol.  I remember it as smokey and a little chewy, but sliced thin it was delicious!  Also served was smoked cheese (carefully put in and removed, put back in, etc so it wouldn't melt through the stockinette) and a local favorite called Croghan Bologna (made in Croghan, NY).

6c502a83_Ham2copy.jpg

Here is a picture of a tounge I smoked with some cottage hams. I just used the same brine. Came out great

Okay, Sausage Joe, just how did you prep & smoke the tongue & how did it turn out?  I'd like to know:

1.  What was the brine

2.  How long did you brine it

3.  Did you skin it before brine or after the smoke

4.  How long did you smoke it & at what internal temperature did you go to for it to be done

5.  If you did not skin it, did the smoke penetrate the tongue really good

Bill

Consult the original "Joy of Cooking" for tips. The one that has 'possum, squirrel etc. Good tips on cooking, skinning and curing.

Okay, Sausage Joe, just how did you prep & smoke the tongue & how did it turn out?  I'd like to know:

1.  What was the brine

2.  How long did you brine it

3.  Did you skin it before brine or after the smoke

4.  How long did you smoke it & at what internal temperature did you go to for it to be done

5.  If you did not skin it, did the smoke penetrate the tongue really good

Bill
I used a my standard maple brine for 2-3 days. I smoked the meat at 225 for 3-4 hours. The internal temp is really not important since you will be cooking it again but 160 f is a safe bet. I skinned the tounge after cooking . It turned out every bit as good as you can buy in the store.

icon_cool.gif

Now I have eaten tongue like a few of you on sammies back in the dark ages. I have never smoked it or even cooked it but I'm interested in cooking some thou. It sounds pretty easy so maybe I can get the wife to let me buy some. I like to try new things as much as possible.

Consult the original "Joy of Cooking" for tips. The one that has 'possum, squirrel etc. Good tips on cooking, skinning and curing.

Squirrel?

Don't say that too loud!

The Ninja Squirrels that haunt this forum will be on you in a flash! 
eek.gif

Bear

We used to cure and smoke beef tongue back when we ran the meat shop.  Like others here have commented, they make some great sammies. My favorite tongue sammies were made on whole wheat bread with german mustard (hot) slathered on both slices and a thick ol' slice of onion.

I do beef and pig tongue all the time and also the hearts the same way.  Morton sugar cure brine for 2 to 3 days [I inject the tongues because of the thickness] then pressure cooker for 45 to 50 min. Peel the skin then into the smoker for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. I use hickory apple and sasafrass. I think it takes the smoke flavor better with the skin removed. I have had people eat it that did not know what it was as said it was some of the best roast beef they have ever had . I just grin from ear to ear. Hope this helps you out. 

OMG Pops! I just went and read that Bear, jeez louise, I laughed so hard I scared my kitties! And if y'all keep talking about cooking the Squirrel, well see Meateaters post about the bone. Kickin' bootie and takin' names. Nuff said!

OMG Pops! I just went and read that Bear, jeez louise, I laughed so hard I scared my kitties! And if y'all keep talking about cooking the Squirrel, well see Meateaters post about the bone. Kickin' bootie and takin' names. Nuff said!

That's alright---I'm still laughing about your "X".

Even Mrs Bear liked that one !

Bear

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/63691/smoked-beef-tongue-q-view    Here is a link to a Qview I did a few years ago. Not for the squeamish !!!
Tony--That is a great thread!

The tongue you made looks great!

If anybody wants a chuckle, go to that post Tony linked above, and read the post "Pops" made on that thread over a year ago.

I almost laughed myself off my chair!

Good One Pops!

Bear
GOOD ONE! Very well said Pops. It's all in what you call it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky