Smoked Beef Heart and Tongue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Can't answer the heart question but if you have an extra aortic valve let me know!
For the tongue I have been wanting to make pastrami but whenever I see one for sale they want
$35 bucks for the thing.

My wife eats beef tongue and all she does is pan fry it. I bet I could toss it on the Kettle with some beef seasoning and take it up a notch. As for the tongue. My MIL used to do the same - boil it all day, but she would slice it up for sammies. I had to leave the house when she was cooking it, because it looked like something out of a Hannibal Lecter movie.

Chris
I just got home with 2 hearts and 1 tongue, what were your steps like rub, temp, length of cook. My mother would boil tongue then grind it for sandwiches. Could you share your steps.
Dan
When you smoke heart, do you trim out the valves and chamber walls first, or do you leave them in? Do they breakdown, out start tuff and you just pick them out?

Both these cuts, but particularly tongue are VERY lean. Do you need to do anything to keep them from drying out? I've only braised or fried hearts and tongues.

Hey guys,
Here's a time I cut a Deer heart up, and added some Tender Quick just for flavor. This is best for snacks during a Game on TV, because I made them in small pieces:

Check here for Step by Step on preparing the Deer Heart seen below:
Deer Heart (TQ Seasoned & Sauteed in Butter)

<<One Medium Deer Heart>>
DSC04700.jpg

Sautéing in Butter:
DSC04721.jpg

Awesome Snacking:
DSC04723.jpg

Hey guys,
Here's a time I cut a Deer heart up, and added some Tender Quick just for flavor. This is best for snacks during a Game on TV, because I made them in small pieces:

Check here for Step by Step on preparing the Deer Heart seen below:
Deer Heart (TQ Seasoned & Sauteed in Butter)

<<One Medium Deer Heart>>
View attachment 646450

Sautéing in Butter:
View attachment 646451

Awesome Snacking:
View attachment 646452
Boy, sure don't know how I missed that thread but that looks like a bowl full of candy to me! Will definitely be trying that! And to think all my deer hunting buddies thought I was nuts when I told them to save the hearts for me!

Ryan

I just got home with 2 hearts and 1 tongue, what were your steps like rub, temp, length of cook. My mother would boil tongue then grind it for sandwiches. Could you share your steps.
Dan

When you smoke heart, do you trim out the valves and chamber walls first, or do you leave them in? Do they breakdown, out start tuff and you just pick them out?

Both these cuts, but particularly tongue are VERY lean. Do you need to do anything to keep them from drying out? I've only braised or fried hearts and tongues.
HD, I just trim off ALL the fat at the top of the heart. Discard the inner junk when slicing up the smoked heart.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky