Smoked Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dirty Nails

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
Chesapeake, VA
Several weeks ago I saw that someone (spdsk8) on the forum smoked a bacon-wrapped meatloaf. So over the long MLK weekend, I used a combo meatloaf recipe of mine and the forum member’s, and then strictly followed his instructions. The results were spectacular! It was about 24 degrees outside with howling wind, yet I had neighbors come out to ask me what I was doing and what smelled so good. The smoke taste in the meatloaf and the smoke taste in the crispy bacon was fabulous. At the same time I also smoked 7 baking potatoes and I don’t know that I would do that again – they were just kind of…plain and disappointing. However, if anyone has any suggestions on improving smoked potatoes, please share. Thanks to all the helpful suggestions by you folks and thanks for looking.
Bacon Meatloaf.jpg

Last edited:
That meatloaf looks amazing! Can't say I've tried smoked meatloaf yet, but now I'm going to have to!

The meatloaf looks and sounds good. As for the potatoes they don't benefit much from being cooked in a smoker, but you save energy by not cooking them in the oven. After all why waste grate space.

Point for sure
Chris

Yes I love me some smoked meatloaf

Attachments

• 9E45FA17-570D-48AD-A9C8-CE0F48C989B7.jpeg
    9E45FA17-570D-48AD-A9C8-CE0F48C989B7.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 10
  • E17DCCFB-D1F9-458A-95F0-1B36EF13FA12.jpeg
    E17DCCFB-D1F9-458A-95F0-1B36EF13FA12.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 13
That meatloaf looks real darned from where I'm sitting, Like. Not much you can do with a tater till it's cooked, and then just add stuff onto it, butter, sour cream, cheese. Just not much about a tater that's exciting I guess, I prefer yams. RAY

That meat loaf sure looks good! I bet the neighbors were drooling! Lol. Taters are taters like everyone says. I like do to mine like twice baked or scoop out the middle and do loaded potato skins. Another way is to slice up and do them in a foil pan like scallop potatoes.

Good looking meat loaf. Haven't done one in a long time, have to go on the to do list again. Another idea for the taters is cube them up put in a foil pack with some olive oil and whatever seasonings you want. Have used a packet of beefy onion soup mix before. Doesn't get any smoke but utilizes grate space.
One last thing...if you use a members recipe or helpful ideas post their name and give credit where credit is due. It's greatly appreciated.

Good job
Ryan

Reactions: Dirty Nails
Good looking meat loaf. Haven't done one in a long time, have to go on the to do list again. Another idea for the taters is cube them up put in a foil pack with some olive oil and whatever seasonings you want. Have used a packet of beefy onion soup mix before. Doesn't get any smoke but utilizes grate space.
One last thing...if you use a members recipe or helpful ideas post their name and give credit where credit is due. It's greatly appreciated.

Good job
Ryan
Oh shoot! Thanks for the potato tip and about giving credit. I just went back and listed the forum member's avatar name.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Works good on the grill too, just have to add them early enough to be done at same time as meat is.

Ryan

Did the one above back in June and ate the last 2 slices last week...So decided to do another.

This one I did not completely wrap in bacon like the first. After mixing and letting steep in the fridge over nite I just laid the bacon strips on top....there was 4 slices left so I just laid them out on the grill mat, chef's perk.

2 lbs 80/20
1 lb ground pork
3/4 cup oats
1 green pepper
3 stalks celery....sauteed pepper/celery/onion till transulent
1 lg onion
3 eggs
3/4cup BBQ sauce....1/4 of which I used to coat loaf as it was cooking
squirt of yellow mustard
3-4 shakes of worsty.
salt/pepper
Sprinkled loaf before and after bacon addition with Meat Church all purpose rub

heated grill to 240 ....took about 3 hours to reasch 160....let it rest for and hour....then I stuffed my face.
Smoked Meatloaf-Garlic mashed potatoes-crowder peas
It don't get no better

Attachments

• IMG-6967.jpg
    IMG-6967.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-6972.jpg
    IMG-6972.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-6974.jpg
    IMG-6974.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-6976.jpg
    IMG-6976.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-6979.jpg
    IMG-6979.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-6980.jpg
    IMG-6980.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky