Smoked Baby Back Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

emuleman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
southern California
Here is my recipe for smoking some delicious baby back ribs!

Rinse ribs with cold water, pat dry.  Remove back membrane.  Cut into manageable pieces consisting of 4-5 ribs per piece.

Apply dry rub of your choice.  Let them sit in the refrigerator overnight.

Smoke your ribs directly on the racks for 3 hours at 225 degrees Fahrenheit.

Remove the ribs from the racks and tightly wrap them in aluminum foil. Before closing the aluminum foil pocket, pour a little apple juice, wine, beer, or any other favorite flavor (about 1/8 of a cup) into the packet to enhance the steam process that will tenderize the ribs. Place them back in the smoker or oven for 2 hours.

Remove the ribs and liberally coat both sides of the ribs with BBQ sauce. Heat on grill or broil in over at high temperature (400 degrees) for 10-15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Nice video.

I don't agree with your method for smoking ribs, but your presentation was very good!

So far all of your videos have been very informative & well done!

Al

Reactions: emuleman
That's a variation of the standard 2-2-1 method others have used for years. If I decide to foil (oftentimes I don't) I mostly use a 3.75-1-0.5, due to preference in the resulting finished texture. I don't understand why you cut down the slab into 3rds, though...makes for more ends and less truly tender ribs. I rarely cut-down my slabs unless for fit on smaller smoker grates, though there are ways to avoid that as well, such as standing the slab on edge and coiling in place (tie or stitch to secure, if needed). Of course you can't foil them this way (well, not without some creativity and precautions to avoid bone-puncture of the foil), but if using a purist no-foil method, problem solved. I've learned that when foiling, placing meat-side down is best to avoid foil bone-puncture, and I never wrap tightly...loose wrap reduces bone-puncture.

Eric

I don't understand why you cut down the slab into 3rds, though...makes for more ends and less truly tender ribs.

Eric
I never considered that, but that is a good point.  Next time I will wait till they are done before cutting them down.  Thanks for the advice!

I don't understand why you cut down the slab into 3rds, though...makes for more ends and less truly tender ribs.

Eric
I never considered that, but that is a good point.  Next time I will wait till they are done before cutting them down.  Thanks for the advice!
Any time, brother...always happy to help. Oh, speaking of slicing, I slice on demand, as needed. The less time the meat is exposed to air (even when covered) the less it can dry out at the cut...maybe it's just me, but something I learned when doing hand-pulled pork for gatherings. I pulled no more than a pound or so at a time directly into the serving pan, and the first time I did this it was among the best PP I ever served to a crowd...freshly pulled (or sliced) meat doesn't have any time to dry out...just a little extra edge for the best possible finished product. I've taken that knowledge with me for years, and will never forget it.

Keep on smokin' it up!!!

Eric

In my humble opinion, you should do ribs the way you like them I love foiled ribs. My wife loves chewier ribs. We compromise by not foiling but cooking them to a high temperature. I would love your ribs and the video is cool! Points!

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky