Smoked a Turkey Breast for the first time...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pyraxiate

Original poster
Jan 11, 2019
As the subject says I tried a Turkey Breast for the first time today and had a confusing problem, I'll give more detail.

This was a bone in almost 8lb turkey breast. I unpacked the bird and washed it off a bit, pat to dry and added my cajun rub. I wrapped it and let it sit overnight.

Put the breast on the smoker (cherry chunks & lump charcoal) at 250° till internal temp of 160°. I used a beer & apple juice spritz through out the cook. Wrapped at about 3 hours and when internal temp was at 125°.

The meat was incredible many at the cook out saying it was the best they ever had. My only complaint is the skin was not crispy at all.

I now turn to you fine people for an answer, where did I go wrong? Thank you before hand and sorry got no pictures.

Last edited:
2018-11-15 16.51.34.jpg 2017-11-18 14.12.53.jpg Run a higher temp, poultry 275-300. Thoroughly dry the skin, use oil (not butter it has water in it) to coat. Crispy skin every time.

RG

2018-11-15 16.51.34.jpg

Reactions: Pyraxiate
Run a higher temp, poultry 275-300. Thoroughly dry the skin, use oil (not butter it has water in it) to coat. Crispy skin every time.

RG
Thank You I will definitely do that next time

Hi there and welcome!

Yep as already stated, run at a higher heat. I usually recommend 325F if possible but definitely not 250F.

This goes for all poultry skin. The other option is to smoke and finish it on a really hot grill to get the skin right. So maybe pull at 140F or so and throw skin side down until done. Works well with chicken :)

Tallbm and radioguy got you covered. 300+ for crispy skin. Here are a couple I did at thanksgiving. Top one was fried. Bottom one was smoked at 300-325

Higher temps and no spritzing(or very minimal spritzing).

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky