smoke turkey disaster

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mudduck

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
nettleton ms.
started out yesterday morning when got home off paper route 3am got things ready

and in MES by 4am set at 273 with apple dust in the AMS turkey weigh 12#

lay down went to sleep woke up at 8am.turkey inter temp was197 .i could not beleave

it cook that fast in just 4hr. dry but eatable 

Dang, sorry to hear bout that.

Something don't sound right.

even at temps of 325° a 12# bird should have been near perfect in 3.5 - 4 hours.

Sure it want 8pm...just kiddn.

Should make good Turkey salad, that's how I recycle my dry birds...the bird really sucks up the mayo.

My brined birds took 4 hours as well. I was guessing around 5 or so hours so I probed them at the 4 hour mark and the internal temp was higher than I wanted. I was going to pull them at 164 and they were at 175-180 but they were very juicy.

I had 2 12# brined birds on the rack at 4:50 - look at my post on too hot on one end.  The one on the left hand side was so hot at 5:30, I swapped postions with them.  The one I moved to the left (cool side of the smoker)  internal temp in the breast at 6:50 said 165.  Moved the probe to the other side, and it said 155. I removed that bird at 7:30, it was 165on both sides of the breast and 178 in the thick part of the thigh.The other one reached 165 at 9:00.  I'm not sure why the first one cooked so fast after I moved it, but they came out pretty good - a little dry, but not bad and flavor was terrific.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky