smoke house out of plywood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pigknuckle1957

Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Tennessee
I have some scrap OSB plywood.  Will this be ok to use for a smokehouse? I don't need a big one but the scraps will make one about the right size for my use.

I would say no, osb is pieces of wood with a compound agent (glue) mixed in then pressed. When you heat it it could melt the compound and contaminate your food.

OSB Leaches at temp of 224* My OSB smokehouse does not go above 175* and has a nice season of smoke in it. For years smokehouses have been made of wood from hardwoods to pine planks.  If your planning on saving some $ and go with OSB do an 8 to 10 hour slow smoke around 150* to season the inside just as you would a metal smoker you just bought from the store.

One of my good friends has an OSB smokehouse and he has no problems with it.  I keep thinking that the heat and humidity will eventually get to it but it hasn't happened yet.  I made mine with T111 siding and 3/4 inch ply floor.

Al

I have had mine up for 2 years now with no problems even in the harsh north east pennsylvania winters.

looked at your web and saw a water stuffer  had one but it  got messy so i hooked up

to a 3gal air compressor and it works great,, no water mess.. thought i let you know

of another idea....

looked at your web and saw a water stuffer  had one but it  got messy so i hooked up

to a 3gal air compressor and it works great,, no water mess.. thought i let you know

of another idea....

Yeah i was thinking air but dont know how to go about the connections.

great looking unit man - lookin forware to seeing mor posts

In a smokehouse, the walls are vertical and don't heat up as much as you'd think.  I used plywood on mine and have had no problems with it.

OSB Leaches at temp of 224* My OSB smokehouse does not go above 175* and has a nice season of smoke in it. For years smokehouses have been made of wood from hardwoods to pine planks.  If your planning on saving some $ and go with OSB do an 8 to 10 hour slow smoke around 150* to season the inside just as you would a metal smoker you just bought from the store.

One of my good friends has an OSB smokehouse and he has no problems with it.  I keep thinking that the heat and humidity will eventually get to it but it hasn't happened yet.  I made mine with T111 siding and 3/4 inch ply floor.

Al

I have some scrap OSB plywood.  Will this be ok to use for a smokehouse? I don't need a big one but the scraps will make one about the right size for my use.

I would say no, osb is pieces of wood with a compound agent (glue) mixed in then pressed. When you heat it it could melt the compound and contaminate your food.

I agree with masonman -- negative on the OSB.  I'd be worried about toxicity.

Use ply or OBS with no worries. Your not going high temps.

f94361ee_DSCF4302.jpg

045f2935_DSCF4346.jpg

0c271410_DSCF4351.jpg

No just oil base weather paint. It was a spur of the moment build after doing research. Next time i will have T-1-11 and insulated inside. But his one seems to work good. I have backups anyways. HA

got  a 3 gal air  compessor  from menards took the water connectors  to them and they  had  everything a needed to do the job,,

watch  the psi . I use the water connector for the control of air and when i stuff my sausage  I can use  the other

water connector to release the pressure when I'm  done stuffing or  want to stop -- it  works great.. fast and one man operation.

I bought the dakotah water stuufer also, but I din't like the idea of a watery mess in my kitchen. I spent the extra bucks and went to my welding supply store, bought a CO2 cylinder and regulator, made up an adapter to go from the garden hose connecter on the stuffer to a 5/16 poly air line from the co-2 regulator and it works just great.

No mess, no fuss and its all portable.

No, you're burning wood in the smokehouse.  The small, delicate smell of any possible pine fragrance is totally blocked by the smell of burning hardwood and coats the walls, sealing them in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky