Smoke house or barrel smoker for making sausage pros and cons

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

palogger

Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Ok so Ive researched a bit but looking for opinions from the experts. Im sure this will be like asking everyone their favorite sports team, but here goes. Are there advantages or disadvantages to having a barrel type smoker or a permanent small smokehouse type structure in regards to making sausage? Im new here and new to smoking meat. I posted in the roll call that Im an avid waterfowler and I love to hunt geese. Problem with goose is it can be very gamey tasting, so I end up making a lot of jerky and we started this year making bulk italian and breakfast sausages. Those are fine, but looking to expand the options and start making my own pepperonis, snack sticks, meat chubs etc, so knowing that is what I will be doing most Id like input on what you guys prefer. I love to eat so I am sure the smoker will end up being used for more than just sausage, but the primary goal and starting point is going to be with these types of meat products. Ive got 8 acres to work with and being in the lumber business no shortage of materials should a house type structure be the better route, just not certain its the way to go. Hoping for some input before I get carried away.

Heck why not get a uds going for how ever long it takes to get your smokehouse built. I would love to have a smokehouse that I could control the lower temp. better for summer sausage and stuff. that said they have a pellet auger attatchment for barrel smokers now that you can add and the amazin smoker stuff is cool too. I vote for both.

Gamey taste, you can brine it, helps that taste some, you can soak it in milk, does the same thing.

Plastic bag, goose, whole milk, leave on the kitchen counter for 2 to 3 days (and two nights). Wash it and cook it, you'll see a large difference.

I never found anything that would work on Prairie chickens though.....LOL

Gamey taste, you can brine it, helps that taste some, you can soak it in milk, does the same thing.

Plastic bag, goose, whole milk, leave on the kitchen counter for 2 to 3 days (and two nights). Wash it and cook it, you'll see a large difference.

I never found anything that would work on Prairie chickens though.....LOL

:icon_eek:

Thanks for the tip. We've slow cooked it and pulled it like pork and thats ok, but I hunt with a group of guys and on a good day we come home with ten plus birds. Each breast is a pound or more, add in the thigh meat and you've got 30 plus pounds of meat to deal with. And like I said I like to give something back to the landowners for allowing us to hunt their fields, so thats why Im leaning towards sausage. And quite frankly I enjoy the heck out of eating it. The local butcher shop makes some good stuff, Ive had venison snack sticks made there and they are awesome. Just thinking I would enjoy doing it myself. I try to take Sundays to work around the house and spend time with the wife, and I think on top of using up the meat this way it would be a heck of a hobby. Might throw my diet out the window though!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky