Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G. producing thick white smoke.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JohnDS

Original poster
Aug 3, 2018
Hello, I'm wondering if someone can help. I posted another thread about this but didn't get much help. I bought the smoke daddy magnum p.i.g. It seems a lot of people like it, but to me it looks like bad thick white smoke. I looks like it chokes itself and just smolders. I followed the directions and it still doesn't look right to me. Can someone help? Thanks.

Hello, I'm wondering if someone can help. I posted another thread about this but didn't get much help. I bought the smoke daddy magnum p.i.g. It seems a lot of people like it, but to me it looks like bad thick white smoke. I looks like it chokes itself and just smolders. I followed the directions and it still doesn't look right to me. Can someone help? Thanks.

Here’s a couple of good reads for you about the SmokeDaddy Magnum P.I.G. Cold Smoke Canister pertaining to smoke production and smoke quality. There’s a lot a great information that’ll hopefully answer all your questions and some of the postings are from the owner of SmokeDaddy..

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/amnps-smoke-daddy-myths.140797/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/understanding-smoke-management-updated-12-08-14.139474/

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
Reactions: kstone113
John
I have one and the heavy white smoke is normal at first. To me that was one of the problems I had using it. To much heavy smoke at first. the smoldering is good, as smoke is then lighter.
Heavy smoke can cause a bitterness, if over done. Also didn't like the creosote build up in unit. Hard to clean.....don't really use it anymore.

RCAlan posted some great links. Before I got my Magnum PIG, I read all those articles about it.
I hadn't had any issues with mine producing thick white smoke.
What I do is put charcoals at the bottom(only) and light with a propane torch. If you have a small chimney, that would work also. Basically before adding any wood chunks or chips in, you want to get the charcoal red/white(basically hot). So with my torch, I just light them for 10 to 15 seconds and then turn my pump on high. It takes around 10 to 15 minutes for them to get real hot and then I add wood. Then the smoke is good. If you just load up the canister(not sure why SmokeDaddy shows that in their videos) full with charcoal and wood and light it, it WILL produce that bad smoke.

HOpe this helps.

Reactions: RCAlan
Kstone113, you are 100% correct... How you start the initial burn is key. As Kstone113 has stated, establish a white hot base of lump charcoal, then add your wood chips and chunks. That white hot lump coal base will also help stop the production of Creosote as well. It is important to keep the Canister clean by using the included brush and that just takes a few minutes. The balance mixture of lump coal to hardwood is important as well. I have never experienced over smoked food while using my SD Magnum P.I.G. I also have a ball valve attached to my canister to be able to dial back the smoke, but in actuality, it’s really not necessary. Follow these tips and read those links I posted earlier and I sure you’ll be very happy with your SD Magnum P.I.G. For true great lump charcoal/hardwood smoke flavor profile from your pellet grill, the SD Magnum P.I.G. is outstanding.

Last edited:
Interesting...maybe the difference is charcoal vs briquets. I use the latter....may have to try again using charcoal.

Kingsford sells lump charcoal briquettes that’s ok, but I recommend using real lump charcoal like Royal Oak for the best results. Also the interior of the canister will darken due to the seasoning process and fuel/wood being burned inside of it. This is completely normal. Pre burn the lump coal first, white hot and then put them in the canister, then add your wood chips and chunks, turn the air pump to high and lastly put on the canisters top cap. During your smoke, periodically tap the bottom of the canister to help the ash to fall out and to help promote good oxygen flow. The Canisters are not self cleaning, but with a white hot base burn during cooks and the included cleaning brush, cleaning the Magnum P.I.G. is not very hard. Another great thing about the Magnum P.I.G. is it can also be used as a cold smoker... and as a hot smoker for low and slow cooks, it doesn’t add much heat to the cooking chamber, so your grills temp setting will remain rock solid. Give it another shot. There’s a reason why many users enjoy it and recommend it... It’s because when used correctly, it works. Good luck.

First nice day in Chicago in a while, and I finally installed my Magnum P.I.G. today on my Traeger Timberline 850 D2.

Drilling through the double walls of the Timberline was a bit tricky -- but I managed to get it done without any issues. I had cobalt step bits, but my cordless wasn't cutting it -- so I switched to a corded. Much better. Went through the first wall fine, but stalled out when it hit the second wall. I braced the inside of the Traeger with a 2x4, then did the second wall from the inside. This, too, was a bit tricky -- a tight fit for a big drill -- but it worked. Traeger survived. All is good.

I gotta say -- this thing is like night and day. Makes a *huge* difference. First thing I smoked earlier this morning was a couple of spatchcocked chickens -- and a hotel pan of 8 trimmed, skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs.

Everything worked perfectly. Yes -- there was a lot of white smoke at first. All I had was Kingsford briquets, so I started three of those with a torch in the bottom of the SD, waited until they ashed over, then added chunks and chips of mesquite -- pretty much filled the SD up. Turned the pump on full, wait five minutes, and the SD is pumping out thick white smoke into the Traeger. Lots and lots of smoke.

I waited another 15 minutes or so -- let the smoke settle down -- then fired up the Traeger. By the time the Traeger hit 225 -- another 20 mins or so -- the smoke was thinner, but still coming out of the SD and into the Timberline nice and strong.

I refilled the SD with more mesquite about halfway through the cook, but I got a good hour of so of good smoke on the chicken at 225 before I cranked it up to 325. Just tried one of the thighs a few minutes ago -- and it was perfect. Just like I expected chicken on a smoker to taste.

100% recommendation for the Smoke Daddy.

So glad I don't have to worry about the smoking tubes anymore!

The only issue might be the airflow inside the Timberline. I installed the SD on the left side, near the bottom. I'm wondering if the convective flow of the smoker is pushing the smoke out the back before it has a chance to circulate. I'm not sure about this -- but I need a few more smokes to figure out if I need to extend the SD pipe inside the traeger -- maybe angle it with an elbow and pipe extension so it exits toward the front of the smoker and then can more easily get picked up by whatever flow is going on inside the Traeger. Minor issue, though. The smoke flavor -- finally -- is prominent.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky