Smithfield's Slammin'BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am back....

We had a great time. If anybody needs a helper, be sure and contact Dawgwhat.... he was a great help.

Now for what you all are waiting for....

The weather could have been better, we had a little rain on Friday night.... yeah, a little, abt a ton.... you will see it in the pics. Rained off and on, more on from abt 5pm until abt 1am.

We met a lot of great teams, whooped a lot of butt, and got our whooped as well. But, we had a great time. We did not do bad at all for only our second competition and some of the teams that was there.

Now for what you are waiting for:

Overall 24 out of 40 teams
Chicken 21 out of 40 teams
Ribs 40 out of 40 teams
Pork 12 out of 40 teams
Brisket 17 out of 40 teams
Sauce 24 out of 37 teams
Turkey 21 out of 29 teams

I ordered baby back ribs instead of spares like I normally cook. I did not take that into consideration and extremely overcooked them.....
icon_redface.gif
icon_cry.gif
.. so next time I will either use the spares, or just do baby backs from now on....

Like I said, overall, I was pleased.

Film will go in tomorrow and hopefully I can get some pics posted tomorrow night.

Bill

Congrat's to both of you. Great showing in a huge playing field with some really great teams!!! You almost walked in Pork.....very cool!!!! Here are the top ten:

GC Tar Heel Smokers
RGC I Que

CK
1 Dirty Dick Legless wonders
2 Dizzy Pig
3 Pellet Envy
4 Tar Heel Smokers
5 Jack's Old South
6 Lotta Bull
7 Checkered Pig
8 I Que
9 Smoked From Above
10 Skin-n-Bones

Ribs
1 Smokin Triggers
2 Pellet Envy
3 Buttrub.com
4 Lotta Bull
5I Que
6 Double D's BBQ
7 Jack's Old South
8 Cool Smoke
9 Learn2Q.com
10 The Pig's Ear

Pork
1 Tar Heel Smokers
2 Jack's Old South
3 Cool Smoke
4 I Que
5 Wood Chicks
6 Dirty Dicks Legless Wonders
7 Dizzy Pig
8 Learn2Q.com
9 Blvd BBQ Company
10 Dennis Tab AB propane

Brisket
1 Tar heel Smokers
2 I Que
3 Smokin Triggers
4 Smoken Dudes BBQ
5 Dirty Dicks Legless Wonders
6 Double D's BBQ
7 Dixie Bones BBQ
8 Skin-n- Bones
9 Jacks Old South
10 Lotta Bull
Overall
GC Tar Heel Smoker
RGC I Que
3 Dirty Dicks
4 Jacks Old South
5 Smokin Triggers
6 Lotta Bull
7 Pellet Envy
8 Double D's BBQ
9 Dizzy Pig
10 Cool Smoke

Virginia's Gov Cup Dizzy Pig

Sounds like you got to meet some great folks as well. I hope I do as well as you did my first time out!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks Theresa. Yes, I did get to meet some great people. Some I had met before, but not competing against.

Good luck on yours. The first one is the worst. You will be very uptight, just go with the flow. Do what you do best, and have a great time.

I tried to post some pics, but it will only allow me to do 10 at a time, including img, html, etc.... so will see abt doing a slide show and put a link here.....

Bill

Looks like you made a great showing there Bill and Dawgwhat Congrats! We knew you could do it! Sounds like a great time was had by all - that's what really counts.

Looking forward to the pictures!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Thanks all. I think I am finally getting a little caught up on my sleep. I had to be to work yesterday at 5am...... slept good last night.

I am going to sit down and finish my what I did went wrong list. I have about 4 or 5 things on that list. Several small items is all.

I am going to work on a new "sauce" for pork. I found a small pork butt last night, and threw it in the freezer for now. I will probably test it on my next long weekend. Who knows, I might just hit on a major improvement.

Hey, whatdawg, you getting caught up on your sleep yet?

Bill

I caught up on my sleep the first night home
about 12 hours worth
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

when you figure out what went wrong,you got to share so I
can learn some more
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Like to congratulate both of you on a job well done!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
especially the fact you competed in 7 catagories!!! would like to hear your "things done wrong" list from u experienced competitors, give us a head start for the grand rapids comp.(i'm helping tonto and bud)
look forward to any lesons learned..........
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Glad to hear you got some of your sleep.... I is still tired, but that is normal for me. Usually only get abt 5 hrs sleep a night as it is....

Will do on the what went wrong....

Bill

I don't know about the experienced part... I have only done 2, and one of them was last year.....

Some quick what went wrongs:
I used baby back ribs instead of spares like I normally cook, and did not take into consideration the faster cooking time. They were WAY over done, burned, dried out, and almost impossible to cut.

I had switched salts. I went from medium sea salt to course kosher salt. Another bad mistake. My rub was salty on the cooked meat.

I should have put the chicken on abt 20 minutes sooner. I had an ace up my sleeve, and it wasn't quite done, so I had to resort back to the original plan..... Next time.... it will be mine.

The briskets could have had a little more moisture, but not bad. I may have sliced it a little too soon, remember, brisket dries out fast when it is sliced.

The pork and briskets were done in plenty of time, which gave them ample time to rest in the cooler all nice and warm....

And maybe just a little more hickory.

And take more pictures. But, when you get busy with turn in boxes, it is easy to forget about pics.

Keep Theresa out of trouble....
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif
Tell Bud I said hi, and sure do wish it wasn't so far away. I might consider coming up and helping out.

Bill

Well, your 2 comps up on me bill, printed off your comments, some real good thoughts there, this comp will have a little less pressure, as there's an hour between turn-ins, gives a chance to catch your breath
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif

thanks for the info, i know theresa is gonna be pickin your brains the next few weeks...........take all the advice u can give
P.S. when u gonna update your website??
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

So I see you are sharing your secret rub recipe?????
eek.gif
eek.gif

Bill

I just got off the phone with Sinclair Communications. Their website has it listed as an annual event. http://www.sinclairstations.com/

Bob Sinclair - Sinclair Communications

999 Waterside Drive, Suite 500, Norfolk, Virginia 23510
Office: 757-640-8500, Fax: 757-640-8552

I was told that they are not going to have it again... at least not next year...
icon_mad.gif
mad.gif

I told them how great of an event they had, and was looking forward to coming again. I was told that it was centered around Southern Livings tour.... I even begged them to forget about Southern Living and have it anyway.

So, if any one was there, and you enjoyed it, give them a call and ask them if they are going to have it, and ask them to please do.... it might help persuade them to have it without Southern Living. It was a great event, and they really took care of us. If you weren't there, you really missed a great time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky