SMF I give you the bacon bomb!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zerowin

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
PA just south of Harrisburg
First off this is not my creation but I wanted to try my hand at it. I originally saw this at our local fair at a stand touting it won best at NY fair two years in a row. Here's the start. 1 lb fresh pork belly rubbed lightly, 1 lb hatfield sweet italian sausage loaf formed about 1/4 inch thick, and 1 lb bacon.
20171224_103948-jpg.348398

Set up on a grill mat on my camp chef loaded with apple, oak, and hickory. I ran it on high smoke which is 225 and it held well with a weld blanket on it.
20171224_110926-jpg.348399

The bacon was pulled as it crisped and I cut the belly down to thinner slices for better coverage.
20171224_121110-jpg.348400

Had to char a bit of the fat on the fattier belly strips. Temp went up to 300 after the sausage came off.
20171224_133540-jpg.348401

I put a light coat of bbq sauce over the sausage before the belly strips went on and more on the strips before bacon on top. Then topped with sharp and mild cheddar then back in the smoker to melt cheese and marry fats at 250.
20171224_140933-jpg.348403

It's a loaf of heart attack heaven now. I bowed to it and paid homage to the swine gods. It's done here, left in a warm oven to rest while I hopped out for a beer.
20171224_142131-jpg.348404

I will post a shot of the finished sandwich when I get home. Happy holidays SMF, thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Looks like it'd make some awesome sammies on a good bread, toasted with a nice mustard and perhaps some sauteed onions. Looking forward to the sammich pics.

That thing is a serious Fattie just waiting to happen.
Go the yardage for First Down, make a Fattie out of it and get the Touchdown.

Looks like it'd make some awesome sammies on a good bread, toasted with a nice mustard and perhaps some sauteed onions. Looking forward to the sammich pics.

That thing is a serious Fattie just waiting to happen.
Go the yardage for First Down, make a Fattie out of it and get the Touchdown.

Thanks Chile! We don't have a good bakery round here but I agree with the fattie idea. Maybe a fattie wrapped in stromboli dough :).

Old thread but I finally got around to that fatty Chile. I added a bit of cooper sharp american and there were a good bit of sauteed onions in there but they melted into the cheese. You could definitely taste them though!

Resized_20180211_160537_1818.jpeg
Resized_20180211_160623_2059.jpeg

It was definitely juicier as a fatty so thanks for the suggestion.

Attachments

• affidavit.pdf
    47.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky