Small Smokehouse Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tampasmoker

Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Tampa Area
Long time lurker here. I've been smoking for about 4 years now and have recently been smoking venison jerky in my charbroil smokee but with it falling apart and limited space (only can fit about 4lbs at a time) i used some inspiration from here to build my own smokehouse. My test run failed me as the hot plates I bought cycle way to much and only got the inside up to 115. I ended up ordering the propane three ring cooker that's been used on here a lot and am just waiting for it to come in so I can make something in it.

Howdy neighbor... I'm just south of ya a little bit in Palmetto... I too have a smokehouse that is fired by ether propane or electric... Electric I am still experimenting with but think I have it figured out... I had to up it to 220v and use 2 stove elements... but got it up to 250` within 30 minutes... my smokehouse is much bigger (3x3x6)... If your interested I have a 110v brinkman burner that you hook up to a PID controller... as for your hotplate.. they have a safety feature which cuts them off when they get to hot (as in your case)... but anyways... welcome to your new addiction (the forums) and let's see some results (pictures)...

Nice looking shack! Going to build a small one this summer. It will be electric, insulated and have a PID controller to run the element.

Man that is some real quality wood working. congrats ! I really like the look of the two tone wood. A lot of guys line the bottom with either tile or the cement board durrock(wouldn't want all that fine work to catch fire). Looks great and I bet u can't wait to get it seasoned and don't forget your qview. Also an amazen pellet smoker amznps from Todd Johnson works great in your type of set up.

Wow! That looks great. Very nice work!

(It's nice to know that I've not been the only lurker around these parts
icon_mrgreen.gif
)

Howdy neighbor... I'm just south of ya a little bit in Palmetto... I too have a smokehouse that is fired by ether propane or electric... Electric I am still experimenting with but think I have it figured out... I had to up it to 220v and use 2 stove elements... but got it up to 250` within 30 minutes... my smokehouse is much bigger (3x3x6)... If your interested I have a 110v brinkman burner that you hook up to a PID controller... as for your hotplate.. they have a safety feature which cuts them off when they get to hot (as in your case)... but anyways... welcome to your new addiction (the forums) and let's see some results (pictures)...
Nice job on your new smoker!I had to go with 220 element as well but it does a nice job.

JckDaniels...man after my own heart.  Jack Daniel's and BBQ/Smokin' are my tried and true favorites.  I've been lucky enough to go to the Distillery a couple times in as many years and take in the whole experience while buying bottles of Jack I doubt I'll touch until my boys get married (now 6 and 2). I'm still trying to decide if I should adorn the top with Jack or a USF Bulls Logo....might end up with both but which goes in the front is killing me :-)  Also, Northern Tool needs to hurry their butts up and get my darn burner into their Tampa store so I can pick it up.

At any rate, here are a couple of the smokehouses I go some inspiration from.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/132170/my-first-homemade-build#post_899038

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...w-6-homemade-wooden-smokehouse-ready-to-smoke

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/125041/hi-guys-its-me-gutlib

Here are some more of my smoke house as I was building it:

Framed out.

Stained (2 coats) panel board - 3 pieces of 1"x6"x8' (figured it'd be easier to have it stained now than after I cut everything out)

Said panel board cut to length and attached to the frame

Front panels cut into the frame for a snug fit.

And finally the attached trim and hinges added. 

we took the tour as well.. about 20 years ago.. since it's a dry county no taste testing at the end of the tour... but they were selling special commemorative bottles though.. bought one and still have it (unopened)... it has a serial number that you register (as I did)... don't have any plans on opening it ether.. LOL... Smokehouse looks great...

Finally got my burner in and did some more seasoning. I'm amazed at how much sap is still in the wood. It was sweating a lot on the inside. I ran it to 250 degrees and shut it off for the night. Wish the bugs weren't out because it felt amazing out (68 degrees).

I have 2lbs of belly curing in the fridge with another 6lbs on order. I still have 10lbs of venison to slice up and make jerky out of too..Should make for an awesome weekend!

Do you have any other pics and more details on your build by chance? I am looking at building my 1st smokehouse and wanting something about the size of yours. Not really sure where I need to start and some of the do's and don'ts of building.

Smoker looks pretty air tight....   If the flame gets starved for oxygen, you could have a flameout...  then the smokehouse turn into a pretty big bomb...  they do make safety devices to shut off the gas in the event of a flameout....

Tampa Smoker, 

I am looking to build a smoke house following the build you put together.  I was wondering if you could tell me if there are anythings you would do differently.  I'm a little leery of using the propane burner for the fear of it going out.  I was thinking of putting a firebox outside the smoke house.  

Are there any changes you would make to your original design? 

Thanks in advance. 

Any more updates on your smokehouse? I am just over the bay in St Petersburg and thinking of building one in the next few weeks. Am debating between tongue and groove and plywood. Not too much difference in price. Would rather use the tongue and groove, but can't find it in the stores locally and would have to order it.

Any other changes to it since you last posted? I was debating whether to line it (at least the lower chamber) with some roof flashing or something to be a little safer from fire at least close to the burner. Also debating on roof material (covering).....metal, asphalt shingles (have on hand, but not sure would hold up well to the heat).

Any other pointers or advice would be well appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky