• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Small little pieces of unburnt wood on grate

thirdeye

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Are you burning wood that's a little green? It could be exploding in the firebox??

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Looks like saw dust to me, knock the splits off good before putting them in there, bet the draft is pulling it up there

thirdeye

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Looks like saw dust to me, knock the splits off good before putting them in there, bet the draft is pulling it up there
You might be on to something..... wood boring critters will get under the bark and when you remove it there are little tunnels filled with fine sawdust, this could be the source. So the draft may be carrying it.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
It seems like I always have some unburned wood left in the firebox of my Lang, even though when the food is done I open the dampers all the way to really heat it up & burn off anything on the grates. It usually gets up to 350+, but in the morning when I clean it out there are still a few unburned pieces of wood in there. Just usually pitch them cause they are so small, but I was expecting just ash.
Al

Paulie Walnuts 440

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Oh ok ya it's something that just started happening with this new batch of hickory I had bought. I'm going through the growing pains of learning how to properly manage a fire in this offset smoker. It's challenging but fun at the same time.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.