SMALL GARDEN IN EAST TEXAS -2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
Thought it was time to start again the other thread was getting pretty full.
Got my onions ordered, wont be long I'll try to get them in by the end of January.
Still getting lettuce and carrots, also have some turnips and greens left. (Tired of them now)

For supper the other night
IMG_0267.jpg

Gary

WOW.. Just think, I am at 9 degrees and wont plant anything till April.

My little pepper plants are still producing. I've been keeping them out of the few near freezing temps we've been having overnight this month. I think they may go dormant here soon since they aren't out getting much sunlight lately.

I've made some awesome hot smoked chile powder from the Chile Tepin peppers!!!

I have been wanting some Muscadines so I bought a few from a local plant farm and ordered a few.
Needed a place for them to grow so I came up with this.

Also as you can see I need to get my garden cleaned up and ready for onions by the end of the month

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Dang, I'm envious. There are so many deer in my yard that they eat everything to the ground that is remotely edible. Consequently I put up a 8-foot deer fence which nicely keeps them out. Now the turkeys (that fly over the fence), voles, and other pests devastate my plantings. The only thing that I can do successfully is a raised bed garden with 1/4" mesh at the bottom to keep out ground pests, and netting atop the plants to keep the birds off.

I'd love to be able to garden like many of you

Thanks, I will probably will have a bird problem have to figure something out

Gary

I’m still a couple of months from putting cold weather veggies in the ground. Tomatoes and peppers won’t go in until May.

Got one end of the garden tilled for my Onions which are supposed to be here next week,

Got my Onions planted today
About 275 Texas 105 Sweet, Red and Yellow
IMG_0349.jpg

Ground still frozen here. And 23 degrees.

I envy you.

Got the rest of my garden Tilled up today gunna plant a few potatoes next week
You can see my onions at the far end.

IMG_0362.jpg

I re-potted some of my plants to larger containers

IMG_0363.jpg

Gary I figured I would stop in and see how your doing.
Everything looks great.
Love the trellis, I planted some grapes this year, so we will see what happens.
Trellis question did you use the 12.5 gauge High Tensile wire?
also what do you think of the wirevises, are they working well?

I'm getting ready to order from Orchard valley (wirevises and 12.5 gauge High Tensile wire)

Dam son, Get those seedlings under some light!

I was going to start a 2018 SUGA page, but I'm still undecided.

I used 12 ga. I bought on Amazon Love the little wire vices works great.
Yep you are right on the lights I've got them under grow lights they were getting way to leggy
Onions doing great, I planted some potatoes too not sure about them we have had way to much rain.need a bunch of dry days. Supposed to get a bunch more rain today.
Funny story, I got both my neighbors interested in gardening , the neighbor next door did a small raised garden last year.
A couple of weeks ago he came over and asked if he could borrow my tiller , he was going bigger.

Spread the word my friend, nothing like growing your own food.
I cringe when I see my neighbor in his yard, I just keep wondering what damage he will do to my garden every time I see him.
He's a great guy, an older gent, so I always offer to do a lot of his tree trimming, shrub cuttings and such, his grandson usually does the lawn.
Sad to see him fight part of his yard (retaining wall hill) just sprays it and sprays it, all he needs to do is plant something like a clover or ground cover and he'll never have to worry about it again, to each his own I guess.

I'm hoping my kids get the garden bug when they get their own place.

My neighbors are great, They are always asking me about growing different things, A bunch of those seedlings are for them. No my neighbor on the other side is a different story. Great young couple, good folks but not a lick of common sense. So I have to watch them. I actually mow and take care of their part of the area between our fences.

After a couple weeks of rain and around 7 inches we are starting to dry out. Garden weathered the storms pretty darn good. I thought mt potatoes may have drowned but I see they are alive and kicking
Been beautiful the last couple of days. Here are a few pics
IMG_0388.jpg

You can see the potatoes are starting to come up
IMG_0389.jpg

Onions are doing great
IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0386.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky