Small Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigjrfan77

Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
Texas Panhandle
Today around 2 I got a hankerin' for some pulled pork. Since it was so late, I went to the store and got a 3 1/2 pounder, fired up the charcoal for the smoker, and rubbed the butt down. Got it on at about 4:25, so we likely won't be eating till around 9. I'm not a big bark fan, so I'm going to wrap it after a couple hours and try to get it good and tender. I'll post a pic or 2 then. Any thoughts?

Thanks. Checked it at the 4 hour mark and it was about 160. Looks like a late supper. That's ok though. Good things come to those who wait.

At about the 5 hour mark I ran out of both wood and charcoal (my bad for not having enough on hand) so I pulled it at about 185 degrees. It wasn't tender enough to pull, but the slices were plenty tender, and the rub I used did give it a nice flavor. Wrapping it helped retain the tasty juices. Lesson learned about underestimating smoking times. Some other things I noted were (a) Apple is rapidly becoming my favorite wood to smoke with, and (b) mulberry needs to be SUPER dry before using it to smoke. My mulberry has been curing for about 6 months and that's not near long enough. I only used a couple chunks, then stopped because the wood had a very bitter odor.

I've underestimated myself and had to go the sliced route. You can also finish it off in the oven.

Apple is good! You will find others that you like too. My two favorite combinations at the moment are hickory/apple and cherry/pecan.

That looks really good, I think. The pic is a little dark. Just like there is no law that dictates a 225* smoking temp, there's no law that dictates that all pork butt should be pulled. My family likes sliced pork butt.

Good luck and good smoking.

I've underestimated myself and had to go the sliced route. You can also finish it off in the oven.

Apple is good! You will find others that you like too. My two favorite combinations at the moment are hickory/apple and cherry/pecan.

I've finished them in the oven before as well, but that was not an option last night in the Texas Panhandle with no central air lol. It would've been miserably hot in the house. I've yet to smoke with pecan or cherry. Our local landscaping place should have some soon, with firewood season coming up. I can't wait to try. Mesquite is real easy to come by, but unless I'm smoking a brisket I use it very little. It's too easy to over do it with mesquite.

That looks really good, I think. The pic is a little dark. Just like there is no law that dictates a 225* smoking temp, there's no law that dictates that all pork butt should be pulled. My family likes sliced pork butt.

Good luck and good smoking.

Thanks. My wife was happy with it, so no harm done other than my pride. Hate it that the pic turned out so dark.

Last edited:
I've finished them in the oven before as well, but that was not an option last night in the Texas Panhandle with no central air lol. It would've been miserably hot in the house. I've yet to smoke with pecan or cherry. Our local landscaping place should have some soon, with firewood season coming up. I can't wait to try. Mesquite is real easy to come by, but unless I'm smoking a brisket I use it very little. It's too easy to over do it with mesquite.

Pecan goes well with pulled pork. Its a milder smoke than hickory which is my personal favorite.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky