Slightly too little cure#1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQnewb

Original poster
Aug 6, 2022
Hey,

So just a quick question.

I have had my sausages smoking for about 3hrs now ~30-40c and it just dawned on me that I have added slightly to little cure #1. It should have been 10.25g and I added 10.1g, so around 98%....I'm just wondering if that is material enough to throw the sausage, I don't think it is but I'm no where near as experienced as all of you!

How many g/Kg of meat? If you are at .25% cure 1 then being a little short is no problem.
There are maximum amounts in going but there are no minimum levels set other than you need about 50 ppm nitrite to have any meaningful curing.

Reactions: JIMSMOKES and DougE
How many g/Kg of meat? If you are at .25% cure 1 then being a little short is no problem.
There are maximum amounts in going but there are no minimum levels set other than you need about 50 ppm nitrite to have any meaningful curing.

It is my understanding that the minimum level is 120ppm for safety against botulism in smoked sausages...

But 98% of the correct measure would be sufficient if targeting 156ppm (0.25%)...

Reactions: JLeonard
It is my understanding that the minimum level is 120ppm for safety against botulism in smoked sausages...
Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages:
by Stanley Marianski:

F342DADD-2F73-4836-8FA9-880B830D78E8.jpeg

3488A412-DCE7-4996-8444-B560B0D887B8.jpeg

The first picture of page #51 in the book is talking from the previous page #50 about the European Directive 95/2/CE.

The second picture is of page #55 talking about FSIS regulations here in the States.

Like the other's said, you're close enough. People who use volume rather than weight to measure cure are likely farther off than that.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokinEdge SmokinEdge
The key phrase in that passage is "...that have been processed to ensure shelf stability...".

Smoke sausages in general are not shelf stable, though they are thermally processed. But adequate nitrite is neccesary to prevent botulism while in the danger zone prior to thermal processing temps. being reached.

OK...took some digging, But I found the information. I learned something...did not realize nitrite is pH dependent. Gives me even more piece of mind when making salami using a culture......where the pH will drop 0.7 points from around 5.7 to 5.0.
How does nitrite prevent botulism?
Nitrite, in combination with salt and pH, is used in cured meats to ensure their safety with respect to a number of pathogens including Cl. botulinum. To cause illness, spores of Cl. botulinum have to be able to germinate and then grow in the meat product until a point at which botulinum toxin is produced by the bacteria. Nitrite exerts a concentration-dependent antimicrobial effect in meat products, including inhibition of the outgrowth of spores of Cl. botulinum. The antimicrobial effect is also pH-dependent, increasing ten-fold for each unit fall in pH. In its review of nitrite, the EFSA Biohazard Panel in 2003 concluded that between 50-150 mg/kg nitrite is necessary to inhibit the growth of Cl. botulinum. The panel concluded that the ingoing amount of nitrite into the product was the important preservation factor.

https://www.fsai.ie/faq/use_and_removal_of_nitrite.html

Reactions: SmokinEdge
OK...took some digging, But I found the information. I learned something...did not realize nitrite is pH dependent. Gives me even more piece of mind when making salami using a culture......where the pH will drop 0.7 points from around 5.7 to 5.0.

https://www.fsai.ie/faq/use_and_removal_of_nitrite.html
All good stuff Inda, as usual.

It seems the EU takes more actions on nitrite/nitrate than our FSIS/USDA does. Marianski mentioned this as well as the link you posted. I also agree with keeping in going nitrite close to the .25% but there is no minimum set in the FSIS handbook that I have seen For commuted products or whole muscle, but I agree that there probably should be.

The minimum for protection against botulism is 50ppm; I thought is was much higher than that...
That’s what Marianski says, but I’d like to keep things much closer or above 100ppm just because it’s safe and more effective.

Hey,

So just a quick question.

I have had my sausages smoking for about 3hrs now ~30-40c and it just dawned on me that I have added slightly to little cure #1. It should have been 10.25g and I added 10.1g, so around 98%....I'm just wondering if that is material enough to throw the sausage, I don't think it is but I'm no where near as experienced as all of you!
It’s more important not to go over than it is going under. That said if you go just a smidge over it’s not a deal breaker either. 200ppm is the upper limit. So there is for sure a little forgiveness up and down from where you applied nitrite at 156ppm.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky