Skirt steak fajitas with empanadas (Pic heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Well plenty to time to kill at home today and really in the mood for some Latin based foods. After surveying the refrigerator and freezer yesterday Here is what I came up with.

First up time to get the Piedmontese skirt steak out and marinating.
  • 1/2 cup lime juice
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 8 cloves of garlic minced
  • 4 tsp tamari (can use soy, I use tamari as its lower carb)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp liquid smoke
  • 1 tsp cayenne
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika

skirt steak.jpg

marinating.jpg

With the steak marinating time to move on to the empanadas as they can easily be warmed back up for supper. These are my basic keto fathead dough 3 cups mozzarella with 2 oz. cream cheese, melted in microwave for about 2 1/ 2 minutes and stirred together. Fold in 1 1/2 cups almond flour , 2 eggs , tsp white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt. Once it is pretty well mixed get your hands oily and knead. It turns into a perfect dough. Filling was just winging it. Browned 1 lbs. hamburger seasoned with cumin, garlic powder, onion powder , smoked paprika and some chipotle morita chile paste.

I rolled the dough out reasonably thin between two lightly greased pieces of parchment paper and used a coffee cup to cut nice even circles. Stuffed each with a small spoon of meat mixture and some shredded cheddar. Carefully fold and seal edges. I made two pans like this. Baked at 425F until nice and golden brown. Here they are before the oven.
empanadas ready to bake.jpg

Next up was something new for me which is keto grain free tortillas. These came out really good but I will say the dough is very hard to work with. Thanks to gnom-gnom site for this recipe.
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 3 tbsp coconut flour
  • 2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 egg lightly beaten
Mix all the dry ingredients in food processor , as mixing pour in the ACV, followed by egg followed by water. Once it comes together into a ball wrap in saran wrap and knead like a stress ball for a couple minutes. Rest dough at least 10 minutes in frig and up to 3 days. Divide into 8 small balls and roll out thin between parchment sheets. Better yet use a tortilla press. I will have one by the next time I make these. I rolled a few out ahead of time. Not pretty but I got better as the attempts went on. Here is a pic of my first poor attempt. I made all eight separated by paper and set aside. These will be cooked right before serving.
grain free tortilla.jpg

Gotta have peppers and onions for fajitas. I had a ton of bell and sweet peppers to use up and have 50 lbs. of onions do I made a huge batch. Here is a shot of some of them. I sauteed them in avocado oil.
peppers and onions.jpg

Time to get that meat going. I wanted to do these outside on my kamado because it was really nice out , around 65F. It was really windy though and I didnt think firing up charcoal would be all that safe. I did them in a cast iron skillet instead. Nice and hot to medium rare. Here is one nice piece fresh out of the skillet resting and a shot of some of it sliced.

skirt steak cooked .jpg

steak sliced .jpg

Alright it is about time to bring this thing home. Cooking the tortillas now. Hot cast iron to the point water beads run across the surface. Only 4 or 5 seconds per side as they burn easily. These really come out good. As I said next time I will be using a tortilla press.

tortilla cooking.jpg

tortillas cooked .jpg

Empanadas coming out of the oven and being plated up with some guacamole salsa. Forgot to get a nice pic of one cut open but the meat and cheese is nice and moist and the dough shell is perfect. Sauce is just Herdez Guacamole salsa. We love that stuff!! This may best the best thing I have every made with the fathead dough.
empanadas plated.jpg

Money shot time. Tortillas topped with pepper, onion, steak and some queso fresco. Would have loved cilantro but none on hand. Empanadas have a nice commercial jalapeno aioli on then.

plated 1.jpg

Well that's it folks! Like usual this meal is 100% keto and like many of mine I highly doubt anyone would know that unless told :) Thanks for looking!!

Man I could eat that meal every day of the week! Absolutely love all the flavors on that plate! Nice job!

Reactions: jcam222
Damn that looks good, you threads are making me think twice about this Keto thing....Ok, I thought about it.
There is no way I could give up my pizza, pasta and baked goods. But you're really making me think about trying it for a few months because I could stand to lose a few lbs.

I flatout LOVE Mexican food, it's my favorite food by a long shot...I could eat it four nights a week and often do. We are super lucky out her in Cali. We have the best Mexican food in the world out here, much better than Mexico.
Tortilla press are so easy to make and would be a great Cov quarantine project you could make one from 2 bamboo cutting boards and 2 small hinges.

I drilled a hole in 2 nickles and screwed them into the cutting board to make the spacers, a nickle spacer makes the tortillas turn out the perfect thickness every time.

That meal looks amazing, well done.

It all looks terrific! Could make a plate of that disappear real easy. And once again, great job of plating.

Ryan

Looks like a Tex-Mex restaurant Menu Photo! I have a taste for Fajitas but no Skirt of Flank locally. I need to try something else...JJ

Jeff...that is an absolutely exquisite meal!! Absolutely gorgeous, drool worthy and carousel worthy for sure!! You have a knack for prep and plating that I aspire to replicate. Excellent job my friend and here's a whole roll of quarters for a much deserved ride

Totally blown away again,
Robert

Last edited:
OMG that looks absolutely perfect Jeff! I am going to save your fajita marinade too hope you don't mind. Knocked that one out of the park my friend. BIG LIKE!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky