Skinless Beef Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
After reading many pages on beef sticks and how to use the verticle stuffer, I think I have another winner.

I did a preliminary coarse grind using my new grinder, and seasoned and cure added to the meat overnight.

This mornings fry-test revealed more seasoning was required. 

8fd1ee20_BeefStickFryTest.jpg

The spices were added and meat reground thru the fine plate. The non-stuffing squeeze was applied. It helps to have your grand-daughter around to help.

e788e796_BeefStickVerticleStuffer.jpg

Into the smoker to dry @ 110* with top damper wide open and the chip tube removed.

3ca7e1c0_BeefStickDryingintneSmoker.jpg

There was meat left over. Sealed the stuffing chamber and put in the cooler for tomorrows

beef stick makings.

f3bc4546_BeefStickExcessforTomorrow.jpg

I'll be back!!!

Last edited:
Ok second dump question for the day. If ya got the stuffer why not put the meat in a casing?

Look good though, I'll be waiting for the finish pic's!

Last edited:
LOL---Maybe you are a NorthWestern Twin.

Wait until you taste how much better that unstuffed stuff is, since none of the smoke will be blocked by any skin.

You're gonna love it!

Bear

Ok second dump question for the day. If ya got the stuffer why not put the meat in a casing?

Look good though, I'll be waiting for the finish pic's!
  Dan, Howdy. Well I read all the stuff here and "BEARCARVER" made them without casings.

Who am I to argue with "THE  BEAR".

All the food here that, looks good and makes me hungry, I don't fool with it much.

Bear gets another "attaboy"

looks great. Your grand daughter will cherrish these memories with her grandpa......... 

These sticks are awesome. The fry test was a good thing. The final spices are complex and "zingy". Just right.

I noticed the sticks on the corners of the shelves appeared "burnt" and were crisp.(I will start another post about that) Oh well?? I put them all in an aluminum foil wrap and in the cooler. I just ate one. They were all moist. The crisp ones are now moist like the others. The smoke is perfect. I used 1 cup of hickory chips for the entire smoke. I read on someones post when smoking unstuffed sticks, use less wood due to the heavy amount of smoke they absorb. Thanks for that tip.

My granddaughter was wide eyed when she tasted them. GRANDPA!!! They taste just like the store!!!

I'll take that as a compliment.

I'll be redundant again, and again, etc.

This forum is great. Thanks to all who have made this possible. To some, that may sound stupid but imagine how long it would take to perfect this great food without the help of the folks here. First EVER try at beef sticks.
77.gif

ca604695_BeefStickDone.jpg

<<<<<This forum is great. Thanks to all who have made this possible. To some, that may sound stupid but imagine how long it would take to perfect this great food without the help of the folks here. First EVER try at beef sticks.  
77.gif
>>>>>>>

That is the truth for sure. 

Been here less than a year and almost everything I learned about this hobby I got here!!

Craig

They look Great Dave!

I'm real glad you like them!

You will find after freezing & thawing, they will be moist. I don't eat them very fast, because of dieting. If you put them in an open baggie, they will dry out in a few days.

If you put them in a baggie & close it, they will stay the way they were when you closed the baggie. You can regulate how moist you like them that way.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks,

Bear

Did you water-bathe your caseless meat sticks after smoking?  If yes, how did that affect the outcome?  Thanks!

Did you water-bathe your caseless meat sticks after smoking?  If yes, how did that affect the outcome?  Thanks!

WG, afternoon..... Nope.... they were fully cooked then allowed to cool naturally.... As you can see, this was one of my first smokes in the MES 30.... uneven temps.... That's when I started on modifying the MES to get even temps.... If you have an MES, there are many mods listed on the forum... Do a search for MES mods etc.....

Dave

Thanks Dave, we are new at this and working out the details.  We have a masterbuilt electric smoker. I have meat sticks in as we speak.  Seems the internal temp moves very slowly...it has been at 126 for an hour...sticks have been in for 6 hours.  The smoker is set at 170...am I on track?  Really appreciate your comments.

I now cook my beef sticks at 140 ish.... takes about 24 hours.... that way they don't fat-out....

I also need help on this as we have a Masterbuilt Smoker too..  we are  newbie's aswell..  any suggestions ??? would greatly  help us as I am getting frustrated  ..

need to know   why my sticks are  tough . thought it was the casings but it is the  meat on the outer side .. maybe you can help masterbuilt smoker/ LEM seasonings/ collegen casings /any suggestions I'd love your help......  newbie  here ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky