Skies around Omak.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Omak vicinity is where this all started.... and burned south pushed by strong winds.... I was outside and watched the start of the fire... I really spread fast... Started near the plywood mill East of town....
Late yesterday, the fire jumped the Okanogan River and burned around Wal-Mart and Home Depot..
This seems to be an "almost" yearly occurrence.. We have some highly skilled folks that fight fire, replace power pole and lines and phone service etc....
I was without power for 8 hours only... Cell service was down for about 2 hours... It's amazing how fast "they" jump to repair stuff and get it done...
My friend replaces power poles every year... He was working at replacing them yesterday, when I spoke with him.... He said he will be done early next week.... It's also amazing how this community pulls together to get stuff done...
The Fair grounds has sent out a notice that feed and water is available for any animals that need a temporary home, and if anyone has hay they want to donate, they are accepting any and all feeds...
Mother Nature is the only one that burns and takes your stuff around here...

2020-09-09.png

DSCF0160.JPG ... DSCF0165.JPG ... 1599652038711.png ... 1599652145670.png 1599652180256.png ... 1599654162403.png

My neighbors ranch being protected....
1599652216029.png ... 1599652262921.png ... 1599652299633.png ...

Protecting his hay stacks....
1599652349827.png

Glad you're safe! It does seem like they have things figured out up there to get things fixed afterwards

Ryan

Reactions: daveomak
Stay safe up there. In my two experiences of evacuating literally two years apart, it's best to just leave even when it is only a voluntary evacuation.

At 10PM, emergency management reported....
Fire started at 9:45 PM 9/6/ 2020 and as of today, sometime, they estimated the acreage burned at 163,000 acres...
They are investigating the death of an infant and 2 individuals with serious injuries....

1599719487755.png

Hope they manage to get them contained before they do much more damage. It sucks that those western states get those kind of fires in that kind of terrain so often.
Long ago as a firefighter/paramedic on a couple fairly rural fire departments I got to fight quite a few brush/wildland fires but down here they are nothing like the fires they get out west.

At 10PM, emergency management reported....
Fire started at 9:45 PM 9/6/ 2020 and as of today, sometime, they estimated the acreage burned at 163,000 acres...
They are investigating the death of an infant and 2 individuals with serious injuries....

View attachment 462669
Wow that's so sad to hear and God bless them my heart goes out to them and I couldn't imagine the pain they are feeling right now. When you think you have it rough or a challenging day you see stories like this. Stay safe out there everyone

Adding to the problem, since July 1st, no rain... 5" since the first of the year... 1/2 of average...... It's dry, is an understatement.... Temps bouncing around the 90's every day... Humidity in the teens each afternoon...

1599747348081.png

2020-09-10.png

Sure hope they get your fire out Dave , know the area a bit as a couple times a year we are in Your town as you are 2 hrs from my place. getting lots of your smoke here. Keep safe and let us know what is happening.

Glad you are safe Dave.
I’m in western Colorado. Not nearly as bad as you guys, but horribly dry here too, and we have had a couple doozy fires as well.

Sure hope they get your fire out Dave , know the area a bit as a couple times a year we are in Your town as you are 2 hrs from my place. getting lots of your smoke here. Keep safe and let us know what is happening.
Smoke is BAD... Wind died down and it's lingering... I think they are getting stuff under control... 163,000 187,689 acres is a challenge, even for these 290 guys and gals....
25% contained..

1599807067844.png

Last edited:
Thanks Dave for the update scary picture of the power line burn. Wind here is from S E so will be getting your smoke as long as no flames I am good with that, take care.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky