Sirloin Tip Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FoxmanNC

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
My wife and I are at home with a mild case of Covid and planning ahead for meals next week. Looking in the freezer I recall buying this with a Cowboy Chili in mind, but we have had soup all week. Any thoughts on what I am sure is not the premier cut of meat to use for smoking? I am drawing a blank.

Attachments

• IMG_4507.jpg
    IMG_4507.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: JLeonard
hope you and the mrs. recover quickly, as for the roast i would salt, pepper some garlic. smoke around 250 until internal temp of 140-145 unless you want it done more then go longer. i'm sure you'll get some more answers.

Reactions: FoxmanNC
Thanks everyone. Compared to many, we are truly blessed, but we do not feel well at all. thirdeye thirdeye that looks delicious. Help understand the IT being so low as opposed to something in the 140-150+ range.

Hope you and your wife feel better soon.
I'm with thirdeye they come out great that way. The reason for stopping at 125 is so it's more rare. Think roast beef sandwiches this will make something very close to that. Personally I take mine to 130 but you still want it to be tender. The night in the fridge will stiffen it up a bit for slicing.

Thanks everyone. Compared to many, we are truly blessed, but we do not feel well at all. thirdeye thirdeye that looks delicious. Help understand the IT being so low as opposed to something in the 140-150+ range.
It's all personal preference..... you can certainly take the internal temp higher, I would think 150° would be the high end though. Safety wise, when using roasting temps on your pit (or oven) all the baddies living on the surface are killed for sure. Finishing to 125° keeps the meat as moist and flavorful as a steak, and the overnight rest lets the juices settle down. The rest is critical. The very thin slicing eliminates the chewiness of a round or rump roast. It will be very tender. Plus... for some sandwiches you will be reheating, so the slices will go from pink to gray pretty fast.

Maybe try 135° IT and see how that suits you.

Reactions: TNJAKE and FoxmanNC
Hope you and your wife feel better soon.
I'm with thirdeye they come out great that way. The reason for stopping at 125 is so it's more rare. Think roast beef sandwiches this will make something very close to that. Personally I take mine to 130 but you still want it to be tender. The night in the fridge will stiffen it up a bit for slicing.
Guys, I made another round roast for sandwiches yesterday and figured I'd experiment a little bit to get a better feel for the carry over temp. I cooked this one at 325° until the internal temp was just over 100°, then lowered the cooking temp to 250°. I pulled it when the internal was 121°. Then I put two more thermometers into the roast.... This roast was kind of cube shaped but you can see the various results. The highest temp after resting was 135° on the far left thermometer.
mAvcaAj.jpg

I agree with all of the above, we like ours rare, and sliced real thin for roast beef sammies. That cut of meat is made for that! Here is one we did a few years ago.
Al

Reactions: thirdeye
Hey guys, a quick follow up. I ended up dry brining this then coated it with black and white pepper, garlic, and Texas Pete dust. I cooked it at about 230* and pulled it when the thickest portion of the roast hit 125* IT. I think it turned out great, but the cut of meat is just not a great cut of meat for sandwiches due to having some gristle or whatever in it. A round eye or a better cut would have made for a better outcome.

Hey guys, a quick follow up. I ended up dry brining this then coated it with black and white pepper, garlic, and Texas Pete dust. I cooked it at about 230* and pulled it when the thickest portion of the roast hit 125* IT. I think it turned out great, but the cut of meat is just not a great cut of meat for sandwiches due to having some gristle or whatever in it. A round eye or a better cut would have made for a better outcome.
Thanks !

My wife and I are at home with a mild case of Covid and planning ahead for meals next week. Looking in the freezer I recall buying this with a Cowboy Chili in mind, but we have had soup all week. Any thoughts on what I am sure is not the premier cut of meat to use for smoking? I am drawing a blank.

Below is what I like to do with Sirloin Roasts:

Here is a Step by Step of how to do it:
Rare Roast Beef (Smoked for Sammies)

Bear
DSC03005-1-1.jpg

BTW: My Best to You & your Wife!
You're lucky you're young yet.

Reactions: FoxmanNC
Slice thin to win. And you are right about sometimes finding a chewy vein, but it's not in all of them. I try to trim around them before slicing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky