Sirloin Tip or Eye of Round for Jerkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
The local store has both on sale for $3.49 lb. Which would make better jerky?

Last edited:
Both are great for jerky, though the eye of round is perhaps a bit more popular (probably because typically it's a little cheaper). Which ever you choose, make sure you get one with the least amount of fat possible (fat turns rancid after a while). Also, have the butcher slice if for you, will save you a ton of time and they will usually do it for free. Let us know how it turns out.

Never thought to ask the butcher to slice it. Guess I'll leave the Cabelas slicer on shelf a bit longer.

for the do it yourself person eye round would probably be easier to work with it's firmer then the sirloin tip easier to slice, or freeze them up some. just a thought

I ended up using eye of round, and as suggested by old smokerdude, I had them slice it up. Only regret their was that they were not as careful timming the fat off as I would have been. It looked like he cut into the lean meat 1/4" in some places, but probably wasn't more than 1/4-1/2 pound of lean meat total. I was surprised that the 6 lb roast ended up being about 4.5 after being trimmed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky