Single Male looking for..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmwfanatic

Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
San Jose, CA
Smoking advice!

Hi Guys,

I'm Travis, 19, from San Jose, CA. I am joining this website because I am new to smoking meats and need advice on it. My parents just moved to Colorado along with my dad's electric smoker, so I went out and bought myself a Charbroil smoker/grill.  I bought a charcoal grill quite frankly because A: I can't afford a fancy electric one and B: I feel like the electric ones are cheating. It does all the work for you and I want to be more active and learn. 

I am huge into photography and videography, I am a technician at an Apple Store, and I golf. I most recently got into shooting, I am starting small with a BB gun to practice. All in all, its safe to say BBQ is my least expensive hobby, even though it isn't cheap. 

So far I have only smoked one thing. A picnic butt, this was back in August. I did all my research, went for about 7 hours, and my friends were amazed. It was a proud moment, but I want to get better and I know this is the place to start. Since I am now on my own, I have to take on responsibilities and rely on myself, and of course the all powerful internet. However there are just some things I can't find so I thought it would be great to develop a relationship with you guys since from what I've seen, you are very supportive, funny, and don't play the whole "I'm better than you and this is how you bbq" attitude, I really don't have a lot of respect for that. However, I do and always will, appreciate constructive feedback, that to me is the only way to get better.

Thanks for everything in advance!

Travis

Ah my question before I forget, since I haven't found a definitive answer. What is the earliest time I should add on a rub? I am smoking another pork butt Sunday, and I'm not sure if adding a rub and throwing it in the fridge too early will affect it. I was planning on doing 24 hours before I bbq, too long? And should I inject it then too or should I wait until the time of bbq? Thanks again!

Howdy, Travis!

:welcome1: to SMF !

You are sure to get great answers to all your questions here. I'm nowhere near an expert (only been at this a couple of years now), but I always rub my pork butts at least 24 hours ahead and place them in the reefer. Haven't had a problem yet.

Do you know about Jeff's Rub and Sauce Recipes? They are well worth the money plus Jeff will send them to you in PDF. http://www.smoking-meat.com/jeffs-naked-rib-rub-recipe

Welcome to the group Travis!  This is the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are plenty of friendly, knowledgeable folks who really enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input here, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

I usually rub my pork butts the night before and let it rest in the fridge overnight.  IMO there is little benefit in injecting a butt...they are very fatty and flavorful and don't really need injection to come out tasty and juicy.

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome to the forum, Trav. I happen to smoke butts the same way as Red. A thin layer of yellow mustard for flavor and to give the rub something to stick to. I've done them 24 hours, night before, and right before the smoke. I don't inject, and I don't wrap until finished temp is reached. But that's me. Others are going to do things differently and wilk put out great finished product. You'll learn what works for you. Along with jeff"s rub and sauce, check out his free 5 day e-course smokers guide. Alk the best to you and thanks for stopping in.

Welcome to the best bbq forum on the web. You will get more answers to your questions than you can imagine. I have only been smoking a little over a year. I made two butts last Sunday and froze most of it. We just finished some pulled pork nachos tonight for dinner.
I rub my pork when ever I can , be it the night before or a hour before I cook. I have injected with peach nectar and it is real good, but most of the time I save the injection for pork loins. I do wrap at 160° or so. I know this makes the bark softer , but it is still primo.

Hey Travis,
Welcome to the forums. I am actually smoking one tomorrow. I dont inject mine but I brine the night before and lay on the rub right before I put it in the smoker. 225 degrees 1.5 hrs per pound is a good rule of thumb. I wrap mine at 165 and pull it off at 200 then let rest an hr in a cooler with towels wraped around it and mine always turn out great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky