Simple But Delicious Thin Crust Sausage Pizza (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
When I was a kid my dad was big into the "garbage" pizzas and that's what I was forced to eat...well eat them or go hungry. When I got old enough to order and pay for my own pizzas I was more inclined to go simplistic. For years my go-to pizza was just ground beef and onions. Loved those things and ate a ton of them. Recently I've made a few of the "garbage" pizzas at the bequest of other people but a few days ago I decided to make one for me: simple. Just the basic stuff (sauce and cheese) along with Italian sausage and onions.

Made the dough: Italian herbs and cheese
001.jpg

Got two links of homemade sweet Italian sausage out of the freezer and into a skillet
002.jpg

Since we want thin crust I cut the dough ball in half
003.jpg

Roll out the dough and put it into the CI pizza pan
004.jpg

Sausage and onions
005.jpg

Goodies on the pizza
006.jpg

Lots of fresh shredded whole milk mozz and a sprinkle of parsley
008.jpg

Cooked on the grill at about 425 for 15 minutes or so
009.jpg

First slice with some fresh grated Parmesan and crushed red peppers
010.jpg

This pizza was outstanding!! The dough was the best I've ever had. It was a kit that I got from The Prepared Pantry (along with a bunch of other stuff) and it will be my go-to from now on. So easy and absolutely fantastic. Flavorful and super easy to work with very little spring-back as you're trying to get it laid into the pizza pan. The sausage was a first for me. I've been making this recipe for the sweet Italian for while a while but followed the recommendation of our friend Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) and put some Cabernet Sauvignon (sp??) into the mix. Instead of using water, I used the wine. The flavor was not nearly as pronounced as I was expecting but for me that's a good thing. It was subtle, balanced, and melded perfectly with the spices in the sausage. The sauce was also homemade which adds a lot to the finished product. All in all I'd say this was my favorite pizza in a long time. Surprisingly enough, Tracy agreed. This one is a keeper for sure. We wound up eating every last bit of it so that tells me what I need to know.

Thanks for dropping in. This is what happens when I get bored on a Sunday afternoon :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Ones man garbage is another’s.....

I love a good sausage pizza. I also love hamburger pizzas. Grew up on both homemade and frozen hamburger pizzas and loved them.

Reactions: pa42phigh
Looks great Robert. Perfect doneness and crispness. Nice work. Stay safe.

Looks good to me. As a kid, it was Plain Pizza, sometimes my parents would order a Mushroom Pizza. Now, Garbage Pies, Meat Lovers, Shimp and Alfredo Sauce, any kind of Pizza is fine with me. I would like to get one of those Ooni Gas Pizza Ovens some day...JJ

Looks great! I need to step out and start doing things like this!

Well it was the people here that got me started doing my own and really dialing it in. there's no turning back now.

Ones man garbage is another’s.....

Yep...I can see the allure of the garbage pizza but I just got burnt out on them I guess.

Very nice Robert that looks wonderful. Gonna have to give pizzas a shot

Thanks Jake!! With all the stuff you do I'm surprised pizza isn't one of them, especially being that you have kids. All kids seem to love pizza :emoji_wink:

Robert

I love a good sausage pizza. I also love hamburger pizzas. Grew up on both homemade and frozen hamburger pizzas and loved them.

Couldn't agree more Jeff about sausage pizzas and hamburger. The only difference is that we didn't have them frozen when I was a kid. It was always Pizza Hut or Shakey's.

looks more then garbage to me Robert, looks delicous!

Thanks jim. I was pleasantly surprised at how flavorful it was with the limited ingredients.

Nailed it, nicely done!

Very much appreciate it.

Got to say you nailed that. One fine looking pie.

Thank you for the kind words Brian. It came out well and we were happy.

Robert

Looks great Robert. Perfect doneness and crispness. Nice work. Stay safe.

Very much appreciate it Mike. i almost blew it. the thing cooked way faster than expected. I typically turn the pizzas on the grill to ensure even cooking and when I went to turn it, the thing was done.

My go to way also, cast iron and a hot grill.

CI is great as I've learned the past couple of years and almost everything we eat is cooked outside. The grill(s) get used far more than the oven.

Looks good to me. As a kid, it was Plain Pizza, sometimes my parents would order a Mushroom Pizza. Now, Garbage Pies, Meat Lovers, Shimp and Alfredo Sauce, any kind of Pizza is fine with me. I would like to get one of those Ooni Gas Pizza Ovens some day...JJ

Thanks Jimmy!! Yep, a pizza is kinda like a breakfast taco: put anything on it you want ans as long as it makes some sort of sense, it's gonna be good.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky