Sigh...thighs again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Blues1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 10, 2020
Thighs again. Slim pickin's in the meat dept these days. I ain't complaining. Neither is my wife!
4 4 20.JPG

Last edited:
Same here, slim pickings at the supermarket. Wife bought me some quarter and thighs as I had been saying I wanted to try and smoke some for the first time. Thighs next weekend though unless work stops for quarantine. That case would be sooner.

Bone-in Boston Butt is almost always available at my local Safeway for cheap. You can get a decent sized one for 8-12 bucks (total - usually around 2 bucks/lb). Sammiches, tacos for a few days for the 2 of us. They are cheap and tasty as hell.

Bone-in Boston Butt is almost always available at my local Safeway for cheap. You can get a decent sized one for 8-12 bucks (total - usually around 2 bucks/lb). Sammiches, tacos for a few days for the 2 of us. They are cheap and tasty as hell.

Keeping my eyes open...

I like it with the bone better than boneless, but the boneless ones are good too, though they are usually 2.50 a lb.

They really are incredibly easy - rinse it, mustard the outside, hit it with your favorite rub (Jeff's is great for this).
Smoke for ~3 hrs at 220, then wrap, spritz with apple juice, and get it to internal temp 195F.
I usually go up to 275 for the last part in my pitboss pellet smoker. Sometimes I'll use a barbecue sauce, but usually just the rub. Commercial rubs and Sauce is good too. Honestly, these are hard to screw up if you are a newbie (not calling you or anyone a newbie, just pointing it out for the newbies reading these posts later).

Your supermarket may call them pork shoulder or pork butt. Same thing, just a different name. Cheapest meat you are going to find and one of the best and easiest when you smoke it right.

Reactions: negolien
Thighs are definitely my favorite. Thankfully I have been able to find just about any kind of meat that I wanted for the last week. I will admit that I’m doing thighs on the vortex tomorrow. I can’t seem to get enough of those puppies for my lunches. Today I bought a standing rib roast for Easter next weekend. It will just be my wife and I because of the pandemic. I’m going to enjoy smoking that though. Enjoy those delicious thighs.
G

Love thighs. Many ways to prep and cook.

After the initial panic, most meat cuts are available again.
Chicken, pork, and beef (including ground) is in the coolers.
Plus side is more beef rib cuts are showing up in the local grocery chain and Wally store at decent prices.

With very few exceptions, Thighs and Wings are all the Chicken we eat. I like whole birds for Soups and PA Dutch Pot Pie. About the only thing I use Breasts for is Chicken Sandwiches and Chicken Parm. We don't get tired of Thighs because I make recipes from around the world. Nothing wrong with good old Grilled BBQ Chicken either. Your's looks good...JJ

Thighs are my favorite, although I usually just eat breast meat if I can find it.
But yours sure look good!
Al

Prior to my smoking days, I thought a thigh, was a thigh, was a thigh you know?....I'm finding the complete opposite. Available most times, cheap, and many, many ways to prepare. I really do enjoy trying different things and this little piece of meat is one to do that with. Lot's of recipes out there.

Same here---Thighs are my favorite!!
Yours look Great---2 different sauces?
Nice Job!
Like.
We never buy Wings---Don't like "nothing but Skin & Bones!!!"
If I want to make anything like Hot Wings, I'll do it with Thighs or Drums.
We only use Breast White Meat for Sammies & Chicken Parm.

Bear

Last edited:
We eat a lot of chicken and when cooking thighs with skin I do remove the fat, but 30% of the time I remove the bone and skin and grill them like that. It's all good.

Same here---Thighs are my favorite!!
Yours look Great---2 different sauces?
Nice Job!
Like.
We never buy Wings---Don't like "nothing but Skin & Bones!!!"
If I want to make anything like Hot Wings, I'll do it with Thighs or Drums.
We only use Breast White Meat for Sammies & Chicken Parm.

Bear

The six to the left are a dry brine/rub with Rec Tec Durty Gurl (bloody mary rub). The one to the right were marinaded overnight from a recipe I picked up from the net. Good, but the Durty Gurl was outstanding. I did brush a little sauce on them. Sticky Fingers on the left and Jeffs on the right.

I've seen this and they are on my list. Love Malcome Reed! Not sure if I'll put them in a pan though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky