Side of Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MileHiGuy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Denver, Colorado
I got a side of beef today from Prosper Farms here in Colorado. They have two options, organic grass-fed beef or steakhouse...I went with steakhouse. Let the fun begin! I'm having burgers tonight and am thawing out an eye of round roast to make jerky.

Does anyone have experience with beef shanks? I've made Osso Buco before with veal but not with beef. I'm wondering what to do with it. I'm sure it will be spectacular but am open to suggestions.

Attachments

• Beef.jpg
    Beef.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Wow
Reactions: negolien
Does anyone have experience with beef shanks? I've made Osso Buco before with veal but not with beef.
Funny you should ask...

No experience on your question, but congrats. I just put half a beef off my farm up in the freezers not long ago.

Reactions: MileHiGuy
Funny you should ask...
Yes!!! that is exactly what I'm looking for!!! Looks awesome.

No experience on your question, but congrats. I just put half a beef off my farm up in the freezers not long ago.
It is awesome to have it on hand. I got tired of seeing the price of beef go up and figured I should just buy a side of beef. I'm glad I did!!!

It is awesome to have it on hand. I got tired of seeing the price of beef go up and figured I should just buy a side of beef. I'm glad I did!!!
I'm right there with you. I'm out whatever cost in feed, and the money I would have made selling it, but I still come out ahead with a processing fee of $124.50 for my half.

• Love
Reactions: negolien
Reminds me of my days on the farm. We always had a freezer of beef. I grew up hating it. My family cooked it until there was no color to it. Now that I know about things like tenderloin and ribeye I shudder to think what my folks did to all that. This is why I prefer rare, cool center, lots of moo.

Reminds me of my days on the farm. We always had a freezer of beef. I grew up hating it. My family cooked it until there was no color to it. Now that I know about things like tenderloin and ribeye I shudder to think what my folks did to all that. This is why I prefer rare, cool center, lots of moo.
My wife will not eat a steak unless it's petrified. Least bit of pink? uh uh, nope. I kind of prefer medium rare to medium.

Yep. The only way my folks knew how to cook beef (or anything else) was to pan fry it until it was dead, dead, dead.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Glad I didn't grow up with y'all. me and dad would always fight over who was going to sop up the blood off the meat platter with bread if there was only enough for one of us. (well, not really, we'd split it. Mom didn't care, and my sisters thought it was gross)

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Thankfully my wife likes her beef medium rare as I do!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky