Osso Bucco: My First Time, Please Be Gentle (Detailed Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Among the fantastic stash of goodies I got from our good friend JLeonard JLeonard in the Christmas exchange were some items from a company called Home Place Pastures. Every one of them was absolutely top shelf. Decided to check out their web site and wound up placing a considerable order....to get free shipping. One of the beef cuts they offer is called Osso Bucco although this meal is commonly made with lamb. Never heard of it and was intrigued so went to visit one of my best friends: Google. Did a lot of reading, checked out a bunch of recipes, and pretty much fell in love. Needless to say, a couple of those were included in my order. Turns out it's just a beef shank but it still got my attention. Weather here yesterday was horrid so decided to do one as it's certainly considered comfort food. Found a great looking recipe and went to work.

The meat. Label didn't hold up very well but you get the idea
20220203_124937_Fotogenic.jpg

A big part of the allure to this meal is the marrow bone
20220203_124929_Fotogenic.jpg

Sprinkle with S&P, dust with AP flour
20220203_125254_Fotogenic.jpg

Into a Dutch Oven with some EVOO
20220203_125953_Fotogenic.jpg

Brown one side and flip
20220203_130520_Fotogenic.jpg

Browned on both sides and out of the pot
20220203_131612_Fotogenic.jpg

Add celery, onions, carrots, garlic and about a cup of red wine to deglaze the pot
20220203_131122_Fotogenic.jpg

Saute' the veggies for a few minutes and add bay leaves, thyme, Rosemary, and tomato paste
20220203_131403_Fotogenic.jpg

Let cook for a few minutes till it's getting really fragrant then add more wine and the beef stock. Put the meat back in, cover, and let simmer on low for a long time
20220203_131840_Fotogenic.jpg

3 1/2 hours later all the marrow has cooked out of the bone. Meat is super tender, fell off the bone, but still very much in tact
20220203_165231_Fotogenic.jpg

Remove meat and bay leaves and set aside. Time to make some gravy from the braising liquid
20220203_170711_Fotogenic.jpg

I added another half cup of wine, some black pepper, and a little Better Than Bouillon beef base, and slowly sifted some flour into the liquid to tighten it up then put the meat back in to reheat
20220203_172407_Fotogenic.jpg

While that's going on I made a nice batch of garlic mashed potatoes
20220203_172515_Fotogenic.jpg

A nice pile of taters on the plate and a big chunk of the meat on top
20220203_173157_Fotogenic.jpg

A generous serving of the gravy, garnish with parsley, and it's time to eat
20220203_173423_Fotogenic.jpg

My write-up and the pics simply do not do this meal full justice. It was one of the very best meals I've ever made and the aroma of this cooking all day was tantalizing!! Meat was tender beyond belief with flavors that were deep, rich, and decadent. The only way I can think to describe the gravy is silky and luxurious, which will cater to our friend Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ) who, like me, has gravy running through his veins :emoji_wink: I can honestly attribute the amazing gravy to the marrow that cooked out of the bone. That was one of the big selling points for me when I was doing my research. Everything I read made mention of how the marrow impacted the finished product. I sure am glad I ordered more than one of these. This one is on the "must do again" list.

Here is the recipe as I stole it but made some changes as I went. I'll try to note them.
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 Beef Shanks, about 2-3 lbs total
1 tsp kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 ribs celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 medium yellow onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 thyme sprigs
2 rosemary sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 bottle (750 ml) dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
1 cup beef stock
2 tbsp butter
Flat leaf parsley
Polenta, egg noodles or mashed potatoes for serving

Heat oven to 350°F.

In a braising pan or shallow Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high.

Pat the beef shanks dry with a paper towel and season with the salt and desired amount of pepper. Once oil is showing slight wisps of smoke add shanks two at a time to the pan. After 3-4 minutes the shanks should be nice and browned. Turn them over and brown the other side for another 3-4 minutes. Transfer them from the pan, onto a plate and repeat the process with the remaining 2 shanks.

Once the shanks are browned and all transferred to the plate, reduce heat to medium-low and add celery, carrots and onions to the pan. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the tomato paste, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Return the heat to medium-high and pour 3/4 of the bottle of wine and the beef stock. Bring to a simmer, stirring to incorporate the tomato paste. Add the beef shanks back into the pan, cover and place in oven. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Test for doneness with a fork. Meat should be very tender.

Changes:
-I used about 3/4 of a bottle of red wine versus white wine
-They say cook in the oven but I ran mine the entire time in the Dutch oven
-Recipe says 1 to 1 1/2 hour cook time. Maybe due to the low simmer it just took longer but I was 3 1/2 hours
-I used less thyme and Rosemary (about a teaspoon each of dried) plus added the BTB beef base
-Recipe says simmer the liquid till it thickens but that wasn't working so I used flour (corn starch will work also)

Well this one has gone on long enough. Thanks so much for dropping in. Sure was nice to get time to do a really good meal after several weeks of eating off-the-cuff meals. Y'all take care and stay safe. Probably see you soon for another episode of my "Tales From The Crypt".

Robert

Man yeah! That is a great looking meal. Home Place is only like 45 min from my house. Got a stretch of days off next week. May have to road trip down there and eat lunch and check out their store on site.
Jim

Wow! This dish looks absolutely beautiful! Usually, I am not a breakfast guy and not really hungry in the mornings but I am salivating right now (it's 5:40 a.m. and I am in the office) and I am ready for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!! Great job, Robert and thank you for detailed process and the recipe!

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Looks fantastic Robert! It’s a classic gourmet meal that I’ve never actually had. Funny enough I’ve got veal osso buco in my Wildfork cart from last nights pondering meals. A++ meal as usual friend.

Osso buco is an amazing dish and you nailed it Robert! When you say silky smooth that's about the only way to describe the texture of Shanks when they render down all of that bone marrow and collagen! It Coats your tongue with flavor! When I split a steer with a friend of mine he never takes any of the soup bones/liver/heart....and the shanks!! So I always get a large amound of shanks cut about 2 inch thick.. I'm booking marking your recipe. Its a must try! Thanks for sharing Robert !!

I've had that before. And it is amazing. Yours looks exactly like it. A delicious looking meal Robert!

looks great
next time do the same thing with a pork shank
and get ready to hold your hat

used to be a place in the lower west side of manhattan named osso bucco
only went there once
food was good
clientele was interesting

Hell Yeah Robert! Nothing compares to the depth of flavor from a shank! We save deer shanks for this recipe and it always blows me away how good they are. Awesome job buddy! Great meal choice for a cold day!!

Thanks for the walk through Robert.

Sounds and looks amazing, I could see me sitting down to a plate of that ( no disrespect but I would have to have reg. potatoes , Too much garlic for me ) but Mona would be all over that also

David

Robert that is just plain awesome! That's a plateful of heaven! I can only imagine how good it was and what your house smelled like when you made it.

Ryan

Great write up Robert and no doubt VERY tasty! Going to bookmark this for sure. Note to consider for next time: a simple roux does a great job thickening and it adds wonderful flavor to gravy (ie the butter part). That, and maybe add in 2 tsp of worcestershire.

Matt

That looks amazing Robert! This one was on my bucket list to make and then for some reason I stopped seeing the shanks sold in my grocery store, so I guess I forgot about it.

But after seeing this, I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled and get it made!

Looks great Robert and a superb write up. I always order this if I see it on the menu and have made it only once. Going to have to do it again now that I have a dutch oven.

Wow! That looks incredible, big points for that meal! You got me motivated, the smell had to be incredible and the flavor…..oh man! Book marked for sure, thank you the the inspiration and the recipe!

Looks good.
I've found that it helps to remove some of the membrane (or at least nick it with a knife) to prevent it from curling up.

Shanks also make good BBQ.
Here is previous post on cooking Smoked/Braised Shank.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky