Side becomes quick entree

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
So plans in disarray yesterday and just left with a couple hours to cobble dinner together, and recycled some double smoked ham leftovers. Reworked an Emeril recipe maybe 15-20 years ago that I changed up to fit what’s on hand and at least has some smoking involved.
This might fit as a side dish, but was an easy 1-dish entree.

Ingredients:
4 large sweet potatoes
1lb double smoked, maple glazed and rubbed ham slices diced
6oz smoked Gouda, shredded
8oz sharp cheddar, shredded
~24oz heavy cream

Greased/buttered a 9x13 pan
3 sets of layered sweet potato, ham, and cheese
Top with just potatoes
Immerse with cream
Baked at 350 for about minutes covered (will vary depending thickness of potato slices)
Uncover, too with more cheese, bake until lightly browned, maybe 15 min

Turned out pretty good for short time and little effort.
Next time:
I’d slice the potatoes thinner, took much longer than I’d expected.
Had to suction out a lot of liquid for the uncovered stage, but think they may not have cooked as well or even that short without being immersed.
Would try some different seasonings but not in addition to the maple and smoked ingredients, think this was enough to complement without overpowering the natural sweet potato flavor.
1B7B20CE-037B-481C-9756-6570B3E18960.jpeg

3B5CCF0B-E592-4093-A9C6-36F84BFA8CCA.jpeg
B1CBFD87-8EEA-4422-A24D-5A583333EEB9.jpeg
8BA90320-D4E4-4A08-8D1D-4D6B1705F73F.jpeg

I'm not a sweet potato guy. But I'm thinking this will work great with regular taters. Like!

Looks good! I love it when a plan comes together...even if it is plan b or c!

Ryan

Thanks all for the likes ... probably more than I deserve ....

I’ve been looking at some scalloped potatoes I grew up with (ham no cheese) of late with the ham on hand, and au gratin potatoes (cheese no ham) ... so why not a ménage-a-trois with potatoes/cheese/ham?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky