Shrimp & Lobster Ravioli

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Absolutely amazing Ray...as always. I was gonna hold off getting a ravioli set-up till I had a bit more practice making the dough. Nope, not any more you enabler you :emoji_wink: I made a batch of the dough using your recipe and the semolina flour and was amazed at how well it worked out.so simple, so delicious, and the easiest dough to work with. Rolled out beautifully so the confidence level has increased...thank you!! Slacker :emoji_laughing: Off to visit Amazon, Robert

Thanks a ton amigo! With your culinary chops I can only imagine the great combo ravs you'll produce. Once you get the hang of things it gets pretty easy. One little trick to remember is to sprinkle some semolina flour on the ravioli mold before you place on the bottom sheet of dough. That will help it release without sticking when you are done with the rolling pin. I saw where one guy sprayed the mold with Pam in place of dusting it with flour, might work, I don't like any greasy stuff on my board. Thanks for the Like Robert, much appreciated! RAY

Reactions: indaswamp
One little trick to remember is to sprinkle some semolina flour on the ravioli mold before you place on the bottom sheet of dough.
I have discovered that dusting everything with flour helps a ton!! That seems to be a very simple trick to making the process a lot easier. Thanks for the info. One Q though. I saw a note from you about putting water on the pasta before laying on the second layer. Could you please elaborate on that just a bit? I'm guessing it's to help the sheets stick together but just a quick overview would be greatly appreciated.
I don't like any greasy stuff on my board
I'm with you on this!! I bet the pasta would get pretty slimy if it had non-stick cooking spray on it. That's usually nothing more than canola oil and can be really slick.

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
It had been some time since I'd made a batch of ravioli so when I ran across a decent deal at my local Kroger I picked up a half dozen small lobsters and steamed them up.
View attachment 653830

I always have a nice supply of jumbo shrimp in the kitchen freezer, 15 to the pound, boiled up 18, for a 50-50mix of a pound each

View attachment 653832

After a few minutes with the Wusthof food processor, then mixed into eight ounces of ricotta cheese

View attachment 653833

With the filling done and in a ice chest (broken fridge, supply chain issue, could be forever) it was on to making the dough. A 50-50 mix of semolina, and Caputo's 00 flour, 250 grams each and five large eggs. Five minutes in the KA with the dough hook, easy peasy.

View attachment 653831

The dough took a little water, then a little flour, after a final kneading got to where I wrapped it for a one hour rest next to the new pasta roller

View attachment 653834

Having zero experience with the new roller, and the same amount of patience, I went back to old reliable, the KA

View attachment 653829

I go with the old fashioned steel form tray and a rolling pin

View attachment 653828

About a teaspoon of the filling mix in each slot

View attachment 653835

Cover that with another sheet of pasta dough, go over it with the rolling pin. No picture, can't use a rolling pin and camera simultaneously, I'll have to work on that. Made it thru seven dozen ravioli, freeze them on a tray for a few hours so they hold form. Time for a beer and a half hour in my massage chair, too much standing time.

View attachment 653836

Dinner was simple and delicious, shrimpy/lobster ravioli in a alfredo sauce with parm and some sauteed zukes and onion

View attachment 653837

I used to make these from Dungeness crab when we lived in CA and I had an ocean going boat. There's no ocean near the desert, and no crab season anymore anyway, so this is a pretty good way to go for a special treat. Thanks for lookin' in, y'all stay safe out there. RAY

Man those look good. How about sending me a few pounds? :emoji_laughing:

Impressive.

JC :emoji_cat:

I saw a note from you about putting water on the pasta before laying on the second layer. Could you please elaborate on that just a bit? I'm guessing it's to help the sheets stick together but just a quick overview would be greatly appreciated. Robert
Good we got this covered Robert, critical step! Once the dough sheet is filled and ready for the top sheet, I use this little brush to apply a bit of water to the edges and center of the ravioli mold. This is what binds the two sheets together, then it's ready for the rolling pin. This is the most difficult part of the entire procedure for me, as you know, shaky shoulders. RAY

DSCN4345.JPG

Man those look good. How about sending me a few pounds? :emoji_laughing: Impressive. JC :emoji_cat:
Thanks JC, but not even for money! Back when I made these ravioli with the Dungeness crab I caught from my boat my partner and I would try to imagine what a plate would go for in a restaurant. One crab yields a half a pound of meat and takes time to pick and clean. We figured $29 for a place you could wear a pair of jeans to, $45 for a place that required a tie. Thanks for the Like JC, much appreciated! RAY

Reactions: JC in GB
Once the dough sheet is filled and ready for the top sheet, I use this little brush to apply a bit of water to the edges and center of the ravioli mold. This is what binds the two sheets together, then it's ready for the rolling pin.
Thank you mt friend for the info. That is exactly what I thought but just wanted to confirm before botching a batch of ravioli. your expertise and assistance are invaluable!!

Robert

Looks great!

I see that they have two different sizes - one is 4" wide and the other is 5" wide. Any suggestion on which size is better or fits the width of the pasta sheets that a traditional pasta roller makes better?

Looks great!

I see that they have two different sizes - one is 4" wide and the other is 5" wide. Any suggestion on which size is better or fits the width of the pasta sheets that a traditional pasta roller makes better?
I know the rollers for the Marcato 150 and Kitchen-Aid are both 5&5/8" wide, so that's probably a standard. Now Marcato does make the 180mm roller, which would be seven inches wide. You want the dough to hang over the edge of the mold a little. It trims off and gets used again, any dough left over gets turned into fettuccini or spaghetti. RAY

Aw man Ray, would I love some of those!! No matter how much of a pain those were to make, I bet they were worth it in the end!

It don’t get much better than shrimp and lobster ravs! Very nicely done!!

Thanks Joe! Yes, it was well worth the effort, we really enjoyed the dinner. I did learn that my lobster steaming needs some work, got pretty butchered up getting them out of the shell, nothing like I've seen you pull off. Thanks for the Like bud, appreciate it! RAY

Reactions: xray
Thanks JC, but not even for money! Back when I made these ravioli with the Dungeness crab I caught from my boat my partner and I would try to imagine what a plate would go for in a restaurant. One crab yields a half a pound of meat and takes time to pick and clean. We figured $29 for a place you could wear a pair of jeans to, $45 for a place that required a tie. Thanks for the Like JC, much appreciated! RAY

They really do look fantastic. I can dream though.... Very nice job, sir.

JC :emoji_cat:

Thanks a lot for the kind words and the Like CM, I truly appreciate both! RAY

Dang Ray, that ravioli looks GREAT! Ya got me hungry instantly.
Thanks Matt, it's a labor of love, happy wife = happy life. RAY

I don't know about the simple part, as in pasta and patience, but you definitely nailed the delicious part! :emoji_100:
Thanks Moto! Patience I learned from sitting in freezing duck blinds and deer stands, pasta I learned from mama and noni. Both come in handy these days, thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: schlotz
Question.. If I thaw frozen lobster to make the ravioli, can I freeze any leftover ravioli. ? I get both yes and no on the internet..

Question.. If I thaw frozen lobster to make the ravioli, can I freeze any leftover ravioli. ? I get both yes and no on the internet..
I see lobster rav in the frozen section at the store. I'm betting Ray didn't eat 7 dozen at a sitting......well. He do have an appetite!

I don't see why not. When you steam the lobster to make the ravs it's now cooked as it would be if it were the main course for dinner. Before you make the lobster filling for the ravioli you let it cool down, and keep it as cold as you can while making the ravs, pretty much as one would do when making sausage. I assume you aren't talking about thawing a cooked lobster, never heard of anyone freezing a cooked one. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky