Shrimp Etouffee

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Had a snowy weekend so we decided to have comfort food meals. I baked a couple loafs of wheat bread in the dutch ovens Friday evening.

This is an all day recipe, or most of a day recipe. Shrimp Etouffee requires that you make (I suppose you could buy it) shrimp stock. Then you need to make a rue which can take up to a hour or more, and then you need to simmer the final sauce 45 minutes or so. So if you plan on giving this a go set aside a day to do it. Done right its well worth the effort.

The recipe that I use is from serious eats and can be found here:

Serious eats Etouffee

To start the day off right I decided that having a spinach and bacon omlette would be a good way to go. Home cured bacon of course.

49661988386_4720704ecf_c.jpg

Step one is to peel shrimp. Reserve the shells and heads if using head on shrimp. Mix shrimp with salt and baking powder place in fridge until needed.

The saute the shells in oil. I used olive oil. You want to saute them until they are slightly browned.

49661470818_1863d7a944_c.jpg

Then add the veggies and saute until soft. Add the tomato paste and combine. Add sherry, then water, bay leaf & parsely. Simmer for at least 45 minutes.

49661469808_2c327f2d09_c.jpg

49662012116_9a6cf82871_c.jpg

When the stock is done strain and set aside until needed. I ended up with an extra quart, which I froze to use next time.

Start of the rue.

49662259007_b7d5ff85b9_c.jpg

I went to peanut butter color. Normally I would go a bit more but the day didn't allow it.

49661438518_0c461ccefa_c.jpg

Bread I made is from Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish. Overnight wheat. Wife really likes it so Its become our go to.

49662259067_b1311c95e1_c.jpg

49661433528_65ea64e264_c.jpg

49662254037_0545783f36_c.jpg

49662254082_ee0013174a_c.jpg

Enjoy!!!!

Last edited:
Heck, I had to read just so I knew what etouffee was. But looks dang good! Nice meal to warm you up on a cold day

Ryan

Heck, I had to read just so I knew what etouffee was. But looks dang good! Nice meal to warm you up on a cold day

Ryan
Me too . Man that looks good . Nice work on all of it .
Nice !! Looks Tasty

Gary
Boy Case, that is a winner for sure!
I may have to set aside a day & give it a try!
Al
Looks great and that bread, WOW..

Thank you all! its a tasty meal and well worth the time to make. Especially if you are quarantined and have nothing else to do!

Also if you are into bread definitely check out the book. The really nice thing about this recipe is that it only takes 4 ingredients (well 5 since you use white and wheat flour). love making breads out of this book.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
We ate the last bowl last night, super tasty.

WHAT??? How inconsiderate is that?? All my begging and pleading and you wouldn't even save me a bowl. I'm seriously disappointed :emoji_wink: Tell ya what, I have two more of those 103 sub primal rib sections coming that will be here tomorrow. I'll trade you a couple of tomahawks for some of that etouffee. Sound like a deal?

Fingers X'ed,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky