Shrimp Etouffee/Creole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
So with leftovers from our rib roast, I've been on beef overload this week. Time for a change and shrimp étouffée would be perfect, but I switched gears after I got started and decided to make creole. So I assembled the necessary ingredients and started...

• 4 T unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup A.P. flour
  • 1 bell pepper chopped
  • 2 stalks celery chopped
  • 2 small onions chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic chopped
  • 2-3 bay leaves
  • Quart of shrimp peeled
  • Crawfish tales
  • Zatarain's Andouille sausage sliced ½" thick
  • Quart of my homemade shrimp stock
  • 28 oz. can of whole peeled tomatoes
  • Cajun seasoning
  • Sweet paprika
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Coarse ground black pepper
20221228_161416[1].jpg

Butter melted and added the flour for the roux. Cooked over medium heat stirring almost continuously until dirty blond...
20221228_165800[1].jpg

Added the onion, peppers, and celery and sauted, stirring almost constantly, until they were tender, about 7-8 minutes...
20221228_165950[1].jpg

Added the garlic and sauted a couple more minutes then added the sausage and cooked a couple more minutes...
20221228_170159[1].jpg

Since I had the shrimp peels, onion ends, another celery stalk, and green onions, why not make some more stock? A quart or so of water and I had this cooking while I made the roux...
20221228_160320[1].jpg

Added the shrimp stock, tomatoes, 1 TBSP of Cajun seasoning, 1 TBSP sweet paprika, 1 TBSP coarse ground black pepper, ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper, and crawfish tales. Brought to a simmer and let it go for about 30 minutes. Found a use for a tool in my arsenal, crushing tomatoes, thanks to chopsaw chopsaw ...
20221228_171531[1].jpg

Added the shrimp, put the lid on and turned off the heat. Served over rice with chopped green onions. Grab a shovel and it's time to eat...
20221228_181527[1].jpg

Somebody can set me straight, but I started with étouffée and decided to make creole. I think the difference being tomatoes and roux? The heat was fairly mild and ½ tsp of cayenne wouldn't be too much and I didn't add any salt. Since my wife was the primary laborer in this endeavor, I decided to use the Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning...🤣, that way she knew I meant business...:emoji_wink: We were pleased with how this course change turned out and here's my entry into the "new" soup/stew/anything-you-can-eat-with-a-shovel forum...:emoji_laughing:

I think the difference being tomatoes and roux?
Creole has more tomato & tomato paste/sauce; and uses a white roux. You will see more herbs (creoles had access to more herbs in New Orleans) used in creole too. More Parsley, thyme, oregano, bay leaf etc...

Etouffee has much less tomato, no tomato paste/sauce; and uses a blonde or medium brown roux....and it is generally thicker.

Creole is generally made with butter while an etouffee uses lard.

Creole has more tomato & tomato paste/sauce; and uses a white roux. You will see more herbs (creoles had access to more herbs in New Orleans) used in creole too. More Parsley, thyme, oregano, bay leaf etc...

Etouffee has much less tomato, no tomato paste/sauce; and uses a blonde or medium brown roux....and it is generally thicker.

Creole is generally made with butter while an etouffee uses lard.
Here is an authentic Louisiana style Etouffee recipe and Shrimp Creole recipe for the curious...
http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/seafood/crawfish13.htm

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/seafood/shrimp20.htm

Very similar, yet different.....
Not looking to poke the bear, but... :emoji_smiling_imp:
You say authentic Etouffee uses a blonde or med brown roux, uses little tomato and no tomato paste or sauce.
But the authentic Etouffee recipe utilizes both tomatoes and tomato sauce. Granted not much, but like Ragu, it's in there.
And it says to cook the roux white, not blonde or medium brown roux.
And on top of that it adds the flour to the trinity after the tomato and tomato sauce has been added, so how is the cook to get a white roux much less blonde or otherwise.
You're gonna get a pink something that isn't roux.

Reactions: smokebuzz
Looks downright delicious to me! Got me thinking of Jambalaya for the weekend.
Or shrimp creole. Haven't had that in years. Never thought about it until seeing this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Whatever its to be called, it sure looks good!
Thank you, sir...
Looks darn delicious to me from my chair. I’d fight you for a plate, just so you know.
Well thank you, but the "fight" will have to wait until my shoulder heals up...:emoji_laughing:
Nice work Charles. Typically tomatoes make it creole. I'm making jambalaya this weekend
Appreciate that, Jake. My wife loves tomato based soups so there's where the change came in mid-cook...:emoji_wink: I told her she was messing things up and she said she was "stirring the pot", literally, and wanted tomatoes...🤣. But we love it all from étouffée to jambalaya, just have to learn to make it properly...
Closer to an etoufee but still looks great! I love the mix of sausage, shrimp and mudbugs in mine too.
I was using things we like and what I had on hand. I appreciate your comments...
Call that what you like but it sure looks good. Lol I remember a thread where I posted a Cajun style dish, “misnamed” it and a diehard Cajun went bonkers on me lol.
Thanks, Jeff. I realize and admit my shortcomings when it comes to authentic Cajun food, hopefully I'll get a pass because I'm ignorant...:emoji_wink:...in more ways than one...
Hell Yeah, that looks mightly delicious!
Thank you, John, come get you some, buddy...
You had me at shrimp stock....

Looks good my friend!
Thanks, Keith. I have a good bit of homemade shrimp stock in the freezer and it sure makes seafood dishes pop...
Looks downright delicious to me! Got me thinking of Jambalaya for the weekend.
Or shrimp creole. Haven't had that in years. Never thought about it until seeing this thread.
Since Jake mentioned it and now you, I'm thinking jambalaya is on the menu soon myself...

This is why when i make something "Cajun" i just call it Cajun food....
Looks great, I'm planning on making something New Years Eve, in the Cajun foods variety..

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Sign me up brother!! Cajun...Creole...doesn't matter to me. I love them both. Don't know enough of the subtle differences between the two to differentiate but even if it's a hybrid combination of the two, I'm loving this. Heaven knows I've done a few cross-dressed meals :emoji_laughing:

Robert

This is why when i make something "Cajun" i just call it Cajun food....
Looks great, I'm planning on making something New Years Eve, in the Cajun foods variety..
Thanks, smokebuzz.
Sign me up brother!! Cajun...Creole...doesn't matter to me. I love them both. Don't know enough of the subtle differences between the two to differentiate but even if it's a hybrid combination of the two, I'm loving this. Heaven knows I've done a few cross-dressed meals :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Your name is on the list, Robert!! We love it all, too! Just as long as it's not too spicy for the grands, then I hear it from Nana :emoji_laughing:

I made etouffe last weekend. I have never put sausage in mine before. However your dish looks great, and I want some.
I had to stop making Jambalaya, I was the only one eating it, and I started to resemble Paul Prudhomme in body shape.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky