Shorty UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spen

Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
With a nickname of Shorty, you just knew I had to make a Shorty UDS smoker.  :) 

I have more pictures of my build here: http://www.shortypen.com/projects/bbqsmoker/uds/index.htm

e6703b2b_shorty1.jpg

8e87f831_shorty2.jpg

Reactions: meateater
My previous modified weber charcoal bbq was more like a mini smoker, it was only an 18" diameter cooking grid and I just didn't have the room to cook enough meat.   I was going to make a full size UDS, but realized that I could store the charcoal bucket underneath if I made a short UDS.  Plus I got hooked on having the fire box on the side (and not underneath) so this sort of just made the most sense for the type of smoking I do.        Eventually I am going to make a drawer to put my wood in, so it is all right there.    Also gotta add some kind of decorations to the legs so it doesn't look so bare.  

Shorty 

I like it a lot. Nice work and I bet it travels well too

One basket (which holds about 2 lbs of charcoal) will last about 5 hours at 220. At $0.35 per lb, that is only 70 cents worth of charcoal I am burning up. It does consume a little more than what my Weber kettle smoker bbq, but is still far less than a typical offset side smoker or conventional full size UDS. I think it is partially because this smoker seals so much better than a side smoker, so I can better control the amount of air flow through and thus reduce the amount of combustion. Plus the fact that it is a smaller area that I have to heat. A full size UDS will have 3 times as much air space inside that gets heated. 

dec76ac1_dd1.jpg

My original flat lid started leaking pretty badly, the thing warped and was letting the smoke out.   I finally got around to adapting a lid from a weber grill to my shorty uds smoker - but I did it a bit differently than I have seen others.   I took the original flat lid and cut the rim off, welded it on upside down and that is what I used to adapt the weber lid to it.   I've got more picture at shortypen.com

Hey Shorty, do you still lurk around here? I've sailed quite a few of the PDR's here in Oregon, ans built two that I never registered!  I spend a good bit of time around the wood boat forums but never knew you did Q. Cool little Q.  I'd call it a DrumStick!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky