Shear bolt for Camp Chef PG24ZG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foxct

Original poster
May 2, 2020
My auger jammed up and I think the shear bolt is cracked. I can hear the motor spinning but auger does not budge.

Is there a source for the shear bolt other than Camp Chef website? It's a cheap part, but shipping is expensive and I would rather just go to hardware store to get my unit going again.

thanks

How much could a shear pin for the auger cost to send?

Can't be that much. . .Knowing Camp Chef they will probably send you one for no charge.

I had a problem with my WiFi Controller this weekend and they are sending me a new one free of charge.

If the auger is not spinning it may be a more serious problem than you think. . .Give them a call!

Great company with a great Customer Service.

John

How much could a shear pin for the auger cost to send?

Can't be that much. . .Knowing Camp Chef they will probably send you one for no charge.

I had a problem with my WiFi Controller this weekend and they are sending me a new one free of charge.

If the auger is not spinning it may be a more serious problem than you think. . .Give them a call!

Great company with a great Customer Service.

John
LOL.....John you cursed me, I almost posted how trouble free my C.C. has been. I'm cooking up some ribs right now and I've had to reboot my machine 3 times now. And once I got it started again the temps were all over the place. The temps say 186* on the smoker and my wireless thermo two different thermo's say 290*.

Bummed, I've had 2 trouble free years out of this cooker now this crap starts happening.
I clean the built in internal thermo after each use with a Scotch bright pad and test my wireless thermo's about every 5 or 6 cook. I guess it's time to make a call because something is going on with my Camp Chef.
Damn it!!!:emoji_confounded:

Last edited:
LOL.....John you cursed me, I almost posted how trouble free my C.C. has been. I'm cooking up some ribs right now and I've had to reboot my machine 3 times now. And once I got it started again the temps were all over the place. The temps say 186* on the smoker and my wireless thermo two different thermo's say 290*.

Bummed, I've had 2 trouble free years out of this cooker now this crap starts happening.
I clean the built in internal thermo after each use with a Scotch bright pad and test my wireless thermo's about every 5 or 6 cook. I guess it's time to make a call because something is going on with my Camp Chef.
Damn it!!!:emoji_confounded:

Check out my post in "Blowing Smoke Around The Smoker" entitled "Technology at it's Worst" to see a CC tragedy avoided!

Yikes!

Hohn

• Wow
Reactions: forktender
Has anyone tried with a shear bolt from a hardware store or anything? Just wondering if those work or if I should buy the actual one from camp chef, just don’t want to wait or have to pay $50 for shipping to Canada

My son in law has a Cabelas re-branded Pit Boss.
It often breaks the drive bolt on the auger drive.
His first replacement came from my bolt bin.
He now keeps a stock of hardware store purchased bolts.
I don't remember of they are #6 or #8 bolts.
You could start with a 4 mm

For my Traeger it’s a 6-32 bolt. Waiting for it to show up in the mail at the moment. Successfully cooked burgers yesterday with a cotter pin in its place for now.

We ordered a replacement on Amazon

A shear bolt is nothing more than a necked down standard fastener. Take the broken one and measure the diameter where it broke, take a normal bolt and neck a portion down to that diameter. As long as you match the diameter and grad of bolt, it will shear at the correct torque.

Just a thought
Corey

Reactions: YooperSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky