Sharp pickles.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Afternoon all. Here is something I've been working on for a bit in small batches. I got it to where I like them. They are spicy. But not over powering. This made a 2.5 quart batch.
For the brine:
2 quarts apple cider vinegar
1/2 quart water
2 TBS Dill seed
1/2 cup kosher or pickling salt.
Put all this in a non-reactive pot and bring to boil.
In each jar layer slices of cucumber and Jalapenos. The Jalapenos are cored and seeds removed. If you want the pickles real warm. Then leave them with the seeds.
Add to each jar:
1 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp dried Horseradish power.
1/2 tsp dill seed
1/2 tsp mustard seed.
1/2 tsp dried minced onion.
Proper amount of Alum. 1/4 tsp in the quart jars. 1/8 tsp in the pint jar.
For the pint jar just use half the spices.
Pour hot brine in jars to 1/4 - 1/2" from top. Then vacuum seal if you wish.
These will sit 5 days before trying.

DSCN4181.jpg

Looks and sounds good. Just curious, why not Fresh Dill and Onions? Thanks for sharing your work...JJ

Looks and sounds good. Just curious, why not Fresh Dill and Onions? Thanks for sharing your work...JJ
Thanks. I didn't care for how the fresh dill looked at the store. Limp and some of them were turning black in spots. And when I started making them the onions we had in the pantry had taken on a life form of their own! It was strange this year. For I could not find any dill flowers to be had. Perhaps next year I'll grow some of my own.

Thanks. I didn't care for how the fresh dill looked at the store. Limp and some of them were turning black in spots. And when I started making them the onions we had in the pantry had taken on a life form of their own! It was strange this year. For I could not find any dill flowers to be had. Perhaps next year I'll grow some of my own.
That's right. I like to make sweet fire pickles out of store bought dill slices. I also do sweet fire jalapenos out of store bought sliced pickled jalapenos. Get both in gallon jars. Running low. I will do some soon and post the recipe. Take care.

That's right. I like to make sweet fire pickles out of store bought dill slices. I also do sweet fire jalapenos out of store bought sliced pickled jalapenos. Get both in gallon jars. Running low. I will do some soon and post the recipe. Take care.

I've been hearing of people buying jars of pickles and adding horseradish to them. Which got me to thinking about what I'm doing now. But, I've never heard of what you do. I'll be waiting to see your recipe and how to post.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky